What Bike Seat? Advice please 🙂

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brooks, if you can find the right width. B17 is wide, Team Pro or B17 Narrow is medium, Swallow is narrow. Swift is somewhere between the Team Pro and Swallow. They last more or less for ever and they breathe.

If you don't want a leather saddle, the Specialized Body Geometry range is good. The Charge Spoon also works for a lot of people.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Google how to measure your sit bones, and use that as a start point. Everybody is different, so there is no such thing as a "Super comfy seat" that works for everyone. One thing I would recommend though, is padded shorts/bibs if you are going to be on the bike for long periods of time.

CXRAndy

Guru
For several years I used ISM Adamo noseless saddles. I found that multi hour rides 6+ hrs they became uncomfortable, just a little sore.

I decided to get Selle Italia SLR wide centre cutout. The nose is extremely narrow, but I have quickly adapted and find the saddle very comfortable

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Charge Spoons get a lot of love on CC and yet I absolutely hate mine, the positive was that I bought it used from a member here so it was a cheap experiment. Even new they're not dear.
I like a Brooks B17, I'm currently in a several year long programme of softening one a bit. My wife swears by Selle Italia. Just illustrates Andy's point that there's no "comfy saddle", it's personal depending on your shape, build, weight, riding position, and your skeleton.

One thing I would say is that layers of gel and foam are the unlikeliest thing to make for a comfortable 6 to 8 hours in the saddle, it doesn't really work like that. You need good support, not softness per se.

OP
OP
Scottmartin99

Scottmartin99

Regular
Google how to measure your sit bones, and use that as a start point. Everybody is different, so there is no such thing as a "Super comfy seat" that works for everyone. One thing I would recommend though, is padded shorts/bibs if you are going to be on the bike for long periods of time.

measuring sit bones!!! That didn’t even occur to me. I like the idea of it being almost customised. Thank you. I will do that tomorrow

jay clock

Massive member
no-one has mentioned Charge Spoon have they?!

I have half a dozen. Brooks B17 on tourer

Gel and foam compress and spread pressure into soft tissue. On longer rides this will lead to numbness and chaffing. Put the padding in your clothing: padded lycra cycling shorts worn next to the skin ( no underwear) or use them as underwear. Use clean ones every day, wash them well and dry them thoroughly. You will need quite a few pairs for work as a courier or deliver rider. Keep yourself clean as well. Infected saddle sores are no joke.
Cyclists butts get conditioned to being on the saddle through experience. Suddenly upping your daily mileage can be traumatic.
Pick a firm saddle that you can feel with your sit bones. Expect to try several before you find one that works for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you going to get 6 hours usage out of the battery? I am not too sure that bike is suitable for the length of time you say you need to be on it.
Presumably he’ll have to pedal once it does (or save the battery for hills? :scratch:)

si_c

Guru
Avoid foam or gel saddles, for longer rides as had been mentioned the padding compresses leaving you bearing weight on the soft squishy bits. This will cause saddle sores and general pain.

Counter intuitively less padding is more comfortable on longer rides, with or without padded shorts. It may be more uncomfortable in the short term but once you get used to it then you'll be much happier.

As mentioned measure the width of your sit bones and get something to fit. There are lots of different saddle types so you may need to try a couple.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Just out of interest what is this job that requires 6+ hours of cycling - deliveroo or courier?

If so, a leather saddle may not be the best option as you'll likely encounter some rain. In the same vain, another thing to consider is if your bike can fit full mudguards and I'm not sure the one from Halfords can.

Top Bottom