What bike should I buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclelover1997

Hi everyone, hope your all well. I have recently sold my Apollo Gradient moutain bicycle, because took it up for service up in my local bike shop, and components needed to be fixed and found everything was going on it. It was only £200 I paid for bike.
Plus I wanted to invest in a road bike as my moutain was slow. I've been to shop tonight and there is a trek that is fully carbon, but is £700 I think that is a lot and I'm not sure if it's worth it, that's why I'm asking you guys, it was reduced from £1,000 or I think it was £1,300, any advice would be great as will be purchasing bike tomorrow just looking for bycycle that will last and has strong components

gbb

Legendary Member
Deleted my last post...I don't know why I thought we were talking Bianchi :wacko:

Trek make fine bikes although 700 for a full carbon framed Trek is either a very good deal, an older model or second hand. Is it possible they were talking full carbon forks with an alloy frame, which would be likely at 700.

A bit more info would be useful, model, which gears it has on it etc etc, but basically Treks make good bikes so you should be OK.

If you're unsure, don't commit, have a look, get some more info and research other sellers to compare prices or come back to us.

vickster

Legendary Member
Generally more expensive bikes have more expensive components, which are lighter and more prone to wear (hastened by poor maintenance, and /or ridden in all weathers)

£700 isn't really a lot for a carbon bike that initially retailed at £1300, what bike is it?

If its too much for you, buy a cheaper one

Ride it and see what you think, also ride other bikes around the same money or less if you don't want to spend so much

A bike is unlikely to be an investment, it'll be worth less than you paid for it from day one

OP
OP
C

Cyclelover1997

Thanks guys/girls it is the bike that I uploaded file of, sorry don't no specific name as can't see bike on website.
Hope this helps

Cheers cyclelover

Attachments

• IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
C

Cyclelover1997

Well why would I need 1 for, I just want a road bike which can take wear and tear and strong components, which isn't gonna go all the time if that makes sense ..

vickster

Legendary Member
Get an alloy or steel framed bike (perhaps a gravel or CX style bike) with Sora or Tiagra and look after it really well, cleaning regularly, esp and I ally the chain and other moving parts. better still you could buy something second hand for a lower initial outlay

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you do your own maintenance, or do you pay the bike shop? if it's the latter, how often/how many miles do you go between services?

If you're not super hot on maintenance then something like a Triban 500 will last as long as anything else before it stops working, but won't unreasonably deplete your wallet.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does it fit you? There is no point buying a reduced bike if it does not fit you and you end up not riding it.

simon.r

Person
The Trek is an "enthusiasts" bike. If you just want something that will last and has strong components look elsewhere. I'm not saying the Trek is a bad bike, but it's never going to be a workhorse.

What sort of riding do you do?

Top Bottom