What Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think I've found the tent which I am planning on buying, whether temporary for practice or to take on the big trip - The Coleman Phad X2. RRP £180 - 200, I've found it at £109. Thought I'd mention it here to see what you think of it (You're probably pretty sick of me now LOL). Its more money than what I'd pay for a temporary one and the RRP is around the price that I would pay for the big trip but, as you say I've got 2 years to find that one and I may find a better one by then. At £109 I think it is a bargain.

Personally, I think that's too expensive just for practising or figuring things out.
I know someone who'd say "It's very easy to go broke saving money!".
It's also heavy for what you're getting 3,4 kg.

Good advice to look at backpacker's sites.
Look for someone local, second hand tent. Get them to pitch it out for you, go through all the things to watch out for.
Seriously, I wouldn't consider anything over 35-40 quid.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Personally, I think that's too expensive just for practising or figuring things out.
I know someone who'd say "It's very easy to go broke saving money!".
It's also heavy for what you're getting 3,4 kg.

Good advice to look at backpacker's sites.
Look for someone local, second hand tent. Get them to pitch it out for you, go through all the things to watch out for.
Seriously, I wouldn't consider anything over 35-40 quid.
Yeah, I was thinking of the weight. Cannot find much with 2 doors, I suppose second hand market it may have to be

I have a coleman Coastline tent. 3 man ^_^
It's heavy, but strong. A tunnel tent design means it goes up easy all in one, needs to be pegged out and has one door.
It's very roomy inside with zero condensation in the winter.
I brought it to Spain and back. It's done the Rhine, Austria, Italy, and large parts of Belgium, France & Holland.
Because a pole snapped (fibreglass) Amazon took it back(!) and sent me a whole new tent!
The new one is hardly used.
I love it, but upgraded when I started doing more winter camping. The vestibule is quite exposed for cooking in poor weather.
It's yours (along with an extra set of poles) if you want it - gratis.
All you have to do is to figure out how to have it sent to you. I'm in Holland. (You're paying for the postage!)
Use it as a try-out tent, or use it as your big trip tent. If you get another tent, then pass it on to someone else.

Serge

Über Member
It's heavy, but strong. A tunnel tent design means it goes up easy all in one, needs to be pegged out and has one door.
I brought it to Spain and back. It's done the Rhine, Austria, Italy, and large parts of Belgium, France & Holland.
Because a pole snapped (fibreglass) Amazon took it back(!) and sent me a whole new tent!
I love it, but upgraded when I started doing more winter camping. The vestibule is quite exposed for cooking in poor weather.
All you have to do is to figure out how to have it sent to you. I'm in Holland. (You're paying for the postage!)
Use it as a try-out tent, or use it as your big trip tent. If you get another tent, then pass it on to someone else.
Damn, you are just too nice! If I ever end up doing a tour through Holland, I'm going to hunt you down and buy you a pint.

Damn, you are just too nice! If I ever end up doing a tour through Holland, I'm going to hunt you down and buy you a pint.
Ah, you have to build your bike first ^_^

I'm in the middle of a big clear out. Loads of stuff going to good homes.
I had no idea what I was doing when I bought that tent, but it never let me down.

If Gman doesn't want it, you're welcome to it. T'would be a great thing for you and the little domino champion - you'd even fit the girlfriend in there too!
Plus, it's give you some wiggle room on the old credit card! :tongue:

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Thank you very much mate, greatly appreciated. Find out how much it will cost in postage and I will transfer the money across before you send it. I will give you my address details when I transfer the money. Changing the subject, I received my bike yesterday

Serge

Über Member
Thank you very much mate, greatly appreciated. Find out how much it will cost in postage and I will transfer the money across before you send it. I will give you my address details when I transfer the money. Changing the subject, I received my bike yesterday
Brilliant. Lots of photos please, it's the law.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
IMG_20180813_153445.jpg
IMG_20180813_144034.jpg
IMG_20180813_144034.jpg
IMG_20180813_144119.jpg
IMG_20180813_153445.jpg
Brilliant. Lots of photos please, it's the law.
If it's the bike you mean:

Attachments

• IMG_20180813_144104.jpg
    IMG_20180813_144104.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 34

Serge

Über Member
That looks a lovely little beast. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Actually mate it's not the type of tent I would be after. I've checked online and it is a lot heavier than was expecting. If Serge still wants it I think he may make better use of it. Thanks for the offer anyway.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
That's a lovely looking machine!

Happy Riding!
Cheers, looking forward to it. I think I will have to get fitter to tour. I've rode to work and back for two days with my panniers containing work gear and struggled at times especially on hills. It felt like the bike wanted drag me back down. I've realised with panniers on its harder than I thought but have really enjoyed every ride.

The incentive is there though as to pay for this bike etc I have to commute and use the monthly cost of public transport to pay for it for 18 months. I think I'll be fit enough well before then though. When I start to tour for couple days at a time, I've got a friend who would go with me until I'm used to going solo. He's had some experience touring round Scotland though a lot of it was via bivvy bagging it.

Cheers, looking forward to it. I think I will have to get fitter to tour. I've rode to work and back for two days with my panniers containing work gear and struggled at times especially on hills. It felt like the bike wanted drag me back down. I've realised with panniers on its harder than I thought but have really enjoyed every ride.

The incentive is there though as to pay for this bike etc I have to commute and use the monthly cost of public transport to pay for it for 18 months. I think I'll be fit enough well before then though. When I start to tour for couple days at a time, I've got a friend who would go with me until I'm used to going solo. He's had some experience touring round Scotland though a lot of it was via bivvy bagging it.

Ah, fitness will come, don't worry about that. More important is to be comfortable for a long time in the saddle - that means a decent saddle, in the correct position relative to everything else. A hill might slow you down, a painful ass can stop you! ^_^

If you're used to going out on a roadbike and measuring segments etc, then a change of mindset is in order! Touring is all about smelling the roses (with the occasional dash to shelter when dark clouds get too close ^_^ )

If you're going to be commuting make sure you have a good lock or locks! It's be a real PITA if your bike was stolen and you still had to pay it off!
Regular commuting patterns means that your bike is visible to people regularly. If someone is of a mind they have lots of opportunity to figure out how to take it and when to take it.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Ah, fitness will come, don't worry about that. More important is to be comfortable for a long time in the saddle - that means a decent saddle, in the correct position relative to everything else. A hill might slow you down, a painful ass can stop you! ^_^

If you're used to going out on a roadbike and measuring segments etc, then a change of mindset is in order! Touring is all about smelling the roses (with the occasional dash to shelter when dark clouds get too close ^_^ )

If you're going to be commuting make sure you have a good lock or locks! It's be a real PITA if your bike was stolen and you still had to pay it off!
Regular commuting patterns means that your bike is visible to people regularly. If someone is of a mind they have lots of opportunity to figure out how to take it and when to take it.
Had no problems with the saddle yet but it's only 7 miles to work so at that distance I won't find out. The seatpost has suspension so that would help too.

Something I feel I do need to change are the pedals. I use SPDs on my road bike so I don't want to get used riding the touring bike without them because I may forget when on road bike but I have found that sometimes I have to keep taking feet off pedals a lot especially when off-road so I am getting one-sided SPD pedals such as Shimano M324s and cycling shoes with grips for flat pedal riding such as O'Neal Flow SPD shoes

Top Bottom