What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
I'm currently reading Exit Rommel, it's about the German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and his 1942 -43 campaign in North Africa. The book describes him as a battlefield "magician" as he was able to motivate his war torn troops.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in WW2 or adventure.

I am about to start reading The Trouble With Europe: Why the EU isn't working, How it can be reformed, What can take its place by Roger Bootle.

He describes the problems with EU and if it can be reformed, in an interview he expressed his doubts if the EU Commissars will allow any reform, but hoped that it could. I have serious doubts reform can be achieved.

OP
OP
S

Soup890

Crazy
I am about to start reading The Trouble With Europe: Why the EU isn't working, How it can be reformed, What can take its place by Roger Bootle.

He describes the problems with EU and if it can be reformed, in an interview he expressed his doubts if the EU Commissars will allow any reform, but hoped that it could. I have serious doubts reform can be achieved.

If you are into finance and economics I may recommend a book called The Wealth or a Nation by Adam Smith

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you like a well-crafted, well-written, modern novel with a touch of humour and pathos, I can recommend almost anything by Richard Russo.
Nobody's Fool, Empire Falls, Straight Man etc

classic33

Leg End Member
"How to shoot in the woods" by kathleen Meyer.
How to shoot In The Woods.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
'Around the world by bike - thunder and sunshine' by Alistair Humphries. He's done UK to Cape Town and I'm up to where he's riding through the Bolivian Andes, working his way up to Alaska from Tierra Del Fuego before turning left and riding across Russia towards home. A fair old trip by anyone's standards! Good read too.

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/...Currency=GBP&gclid=COrAl_bOncACFWT4wgodTqIA5g

Philip Kerr is my current author of choice at the moment.

His detective, Bernie Gunther, is a German (not Nazi) policeman solving crimes in 30s and war-time Berlin.

If The Dead Not Rise is his first book of the Gunther series, although I read Prague Fatale first, a cracking read.

To be recommended for those who enjoy well-written crime books with a subtle thread of humour weaving throughout the book.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I'm currently reading Exit Rommel, it's about the German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel and his 1942 -43 campaign in North Africa. The book describes him as a battlefield "magician" as he was able to motivate his war torn troops.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in WW2 or adventure.
Try "Panzer Leader" by Heinz Guderian, a cracking read!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have just read Me Before You by Jojo Moyles. It was such a good book that I have gone back to the beginning and am now about 3/4 of the way through it again. It's a great story and I spent the last 100 pages of the book in tears.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Philip Kerr is my current author of choice at the moment.

His detective, Bernie Gunther, is a German (not Nazi) policeman solving crimes in 30s and war-time Berlin.

If The Dead Not Rise is his first book of the Gunther series, although I read Prague Fatale first, a cracking read.

To be recommended for those who enjoy well-written crime books with a subtle thread of humour weaving throughout the book.
Dave, when you're done with Bernie - and the South American ones are inferior - I'd recommend the David Downing Zoo series starting with Zoo Station.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just finished re-reading Hunter S Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Not a book your mum would want you reading (unless she's into huffing ether) but some of the language is fabulous. His LSD prose poetry can be hard work, or at least overwhelming, but when he had a target his writing was wonderfully precise. Here's his obituary for Richard Nixon for Rolling Stone magazine,

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

Just started reading Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Not sure yet where it stacks against Dispatches and a Rumor of War, but enjoying it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom