What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boo

Über Member
Kill Them All by John Niven, the sequel to his astonishing debut novel Kill Your Friends

The first book was a tour de force, the story of a shockingly amoral, sex addicted, violent, drug binging, booze drenched sociopath rampaging through the record industry as an A+R man in the late 90’s. Quite possibly the most non-pc thing I’ve encountered, horrible and hilarious in equal measure, made even more entertaining by it being based on the author’s experience as, er, an A+R man in the late 90’s. Brilliant. Couldn’t put it down, highly recommended.

I’ll report back on the sequel, written 15 years after his debut, The A+R man has cimbed to the top of the greasy pole, cleaned up his act regarding drugs, booze but not sex. His moral compass still haywire. Enjoying it so far, but needs some violent deaths. Maybe they’ll come later!

I'll be interested to see what you think. I loved 'Kill Your Friends'. Every time you thought 'It can't get darker', it did!

Boo

Über Member
Currently reading 'Why We Get The Wrong Politicians' by Isabel Hardman.

Fascinating. Could easily have been a hatchet job along the lines of 'All politicians are self-serving b**stards', but as the author (a political journalist who has spent plenty of time in the Westminster bubble) says, it's not so much the people as the system. And the people who have no interest in changing that system...

If you've got any interest in how Westminster works, this is a fascinating insight and introduction. You don't need to be a political nerd to enjoy it, and you may find yourself actually feeling a bit of sympathy for them. Well, some of them.

So if you want to know how a bill gets though parliament, why, when you see a half empty commons you should be grateful that some MP's are doing some work (and it's the ones who aren't there!) and why, should your other half announce they want to become an MP, you should start worrying - give it a go.

Finally finished Barry Lyndon by Thackeray - fantastic book, glad i wasn't daunted by olden days-ness at the start. It lives up to the epic film!

Top Bottom