What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Jeremy Paxman: a life in questions.

Or was it
A question of life
?
Well, something like that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"Superheavy" by Kit Chapman.

It's a really good popular science historical account of the discovery of all the heavy elements ie heavier than Uranium (atomic number 92). The current total is up to Oganesson - element 118. The writer is a proper scientist / science writer so it all seems pretty solid, nicely written and entertaining. Couple of snippets - he's visiting Berkley or somewhere and is told that they have 3/4 of the world's total supply of a particular isotope - "Wow - on this site ?" "no, in that bottle you're holding"
Some of the discoveries are based on a mere handful of individual atoms inferred by their radioactive decay. Anyhow a really good read on a quite obscure branch of nuclear physics albeit originating in the breakthroughs at the beginning of the 20th century (radioactivity, quantum physics, etc) and driven by the cold war bomb making yet nowadays at the expensive and exotic end of big physics and mostly pure science

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just finished Chris Poutney's "No wrong turns" (Part 1) where Chris cycles from Paris to Sydney.
It is the funniest, most informative and well written cycle touring book I've read, (and I've read a fair few).

Some wonderful stories including the 'desert dash'in Tajikistan, an unplanned dismount involving a kangaroo on the Nullabor and rush to get through China. Amazing characters met too along the way. Thoroughly recommend this read, and Part 2 popped through my letterbox (Sydney to China) today.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I have just bought another copy of The Italian Boy to read again. I loaned mine to a friend who didn't return it. It is an account of grave robbing in 1830's London and the trial of 3 men who supplied bodies to anatomy schools for dissection. It sounds grim, but it isn't really. It's a fascinating account of life in the 19th century, and the Italian Boy of the title refers to the many child hawkers and beggars found in London, one of whom became a victim of the 'resurrection men'. It's well researched but easy to read. You can get the hardback for about £3 delivered from Abe books or Amazon. Highly recommended.
0224071769.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
he's visiting Berkley or somewhere and is told that they have 3/4 of the world's total supply of a particular isotope - "Wow - on this site ?" "no, in that bottle you're holding"
Reminds me of when I did some work with a nanotechnology company - making the stuff that's applied in atoms-thin layers to tv screens, monitors, smartphone displays and the like to make the colours work. Serious company, turnover in the tens of millions, supply Samsung and Apple and the like. Their previous year's production had been a record - just under a kilo.

PS Re-reading Cloud Atlas by (the other) David Mitchell at the moment. Stunning piece of work. Just astonishing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Began reading William Goldman's The Princess Bride a while back, but put it down with a view to picking it up as I while away those sunny summer afternoons in the back garden. I love the way it's presented as a book read to him as a child by his father, with all the dull bits missing.
I enjoyed this so much i'm looking forward to reading it all over again :okay:

Proto

Legendary Member
Kill Them All by John Niven, the sequel to his astonishing debut novel Kill Your Friends

The first book was a tour de force, the story of a shockingly amoral, sex addicted, violent, drug binging, booze drenched sociopath rampaging through the record industry as an A+R man in the late 90’s. Quite possibly the most non-pc thing I’ve encountered, horrible and hilarious in equal measure, made even more entertaining by it being based on the author’s experience as, er, an A+R man in the late 90’s. Brilliant. Couldn’t put it down, highly recommended.

I’ll report back on the sequel, written 15 years after his debut, The A+R man has cimbed to the top of the greasy pole, cleaned up his act regarding drugs, booze but not sex. His moral compass still haywire. Enjoying it so far, but needs some violent deaths. Maybe they’ll come later!

Last edited:
Top Bottom