What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I Am Ozzy - Biography of Ozzy Osbourne, helps that I have liked Black Sabbath all my life. The founders of metal music in my very humble opinion. It's really well witten, brutally honest, and pretty funny. This guy never lies about being a clown and out with zero attention span, whom admits was lucky to hitch-up with Tony Iommi (mainly), Geezer Butler and Bill Ward. Still you have to have stage presence, and a distinctive voice that works. I haven't finished it yet, it's really funny some of the sh1t jobs he had, living in a working class area of the Midlands etc. Recommended even if your not a fan. One of the better biographies I have read..

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Hidden Ways by Alistair Moffat. He hikes some long forgotten routes but includes cycle route 78 on foot before the most recent additions. Good for local history. My type of book as most fiction bores me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Adventure of English by Melvyn Bragg

I've always been interested by language and how it has developed. Bragg does a good job of taking the reader all the way from Friesan Dutch (which is where English really started) through to the modern day

tyred

Legendary Member
I've just finished Tatra, The Legacy of Hans Ledwinka by Ivan Margolius & John G. Henry.

A fascinating read into one of the great automotive engineers of the 20th century and one of the cars I'd love to own should my Fairy Godmother look kindly on me.

We need to weaken the mixture, by Guy Martin.

Brilliant down to earth bloke, easy reading, very interesting, calls a spade a spade.

gbb

Legendary Member
Im revisiting 'Thermopylae, The Battle For The West' by Ernl Bradford.

Easy to forget the film 300 was based on factual Greek history, the battle between Xerxes and the Spartans at Thermoylae virtually ending Xerxes attempt to conquer the then mostly seperate Greek states. The book covers a brief background of the main players, the monumental planning by the Perisans and the stubbornness of the Greeks.

Enjoyed it the first time round, its almost a day by day account of the historic battle that ushered in the Classical Greek period.

Proto

Legendary Member
I’m now reading A Legacyof Spies by John le Carre.

Chosen as next read for our book club. I’ve read most of le Carre’s work over the decades and enjoyed them all, including the book from which this borrows its background plot, The Spy Who Came in from The a Cold (1963). I read that again a couple of years ago.

A simple tale it is not, but le Carre is a superb writer, perfectly created prose, a real delight to read. Master of his craft. The plot is complicated and will not be for everyone. My wife has refused point blank to read it. I paraphrase,”I want a book to change my life or the way I think, this is just clever entertainment”.

Personally, at a third of the way to finishing, I’m enjoying it very much. Fairly sure it won’t change my life though.

Last edited:

Proto

Legendary Member
Ploughing my way through the Wilbur Smith pantheon. Almost up to date now, reading Those in Peril.

Surely Sean Courtney is dead by now? Or was that Dirk? And Storm, conceived in a cave whilst lovers sheltered from, er, a storm! :rolleyes:

I read the first few of his books back in the day (70/80’s?) but even then I found them getting a bit stale. Amazed to hear he’s still at it. His latest is plastered everywhere in Cape Town airport bookshop!

Last edited:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Im revisiting 'Thermopylae, The Battle For The West' by Ernl Bradford.

Easy to forget the film 300 was based on factual Greek history, the battle between Xerxes and the Spartans at Thermoylae virtually ending Xerxes attempt to conquer the then mostly seperate Greek states. The book covers a brief background of the main players, the monumental planning by the Perisans and the stubbornness of the Greeks.

Enjoyed it the first time round, its almost a day by day account of the historic battle that ushered in the Classical Greek period.

Have you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates_of_Fire ? Is is a fictional retelling of the battle - I found it brilliant

Reactions: gbb
'Dipping Into'
At home, throughout the day

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216739393309480&set=a.10216314641890960&type=3&theater

Normanton Station, & various houses in the town feature
It does also state that before the coming of the railways, the 1801 Census showed the population at 276
That was before the Mines, really took off, due to railways being able to move coal
Then again, my sociological knowledge doesn't extend to who was on the Census at that time, were children/women (under 16???) counted

Top Bottom