What book are you guys currently reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Guy Martin ~ Worms to catch.
I didn't realise quite how into cycling he is!
His bike of choice for the Tour Divide, the off road 2745 mile ride, was a Salsa Fargo.

55927886_2292978084100133_1762701449256501248_n (1).jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Martin Amis's autobiography, Experience. I remember when it came out there was a bit of a hoo-hah when London Transport banned the poster from the Underground. Can you imagine why?

Experience_by_Martin_Amis.jpg

Anyway, it's a cracking good read. I've never been quite as big a fan as some - I suspect he's really not a terribly nice person (which I'm sure he'd be the first to acknowledge), and I've always preferred others from the brat pack - McKellen, Barnes et al. But there's no denying he's an absolutely top writer, and it's a riveting tale, shot thru' with horror - a much-loved cousin went to a bus stop one night and was never seen again. Years later it emerged that she'd been one of Frederick West's victims. I suppose it would be quite hard to be 'a nice person' when you've lived through something like that.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Some book about Nixon and his mafia ties.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Began reading William Goldman's The Princess Bride a while back, but put it down with a view to picking it up as I while away those sunny summer afternoons in the back garden. I love the way it's presented as a book read to him as a child by his father, with all the dull bits missing.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The dark matter problem, by Robert Sanders. An accessible and balanced account of dark matter - hisyory, motivation, various options and evidence as well as looking at alternative hypotheses eg modified gravity (MOND - MOdified Newtonian Dynamics). Pretty good read. Possible for the lay reader to skip the maths. it's not very mathematical in any case. Probably not the first book on cosmology to pick up, but perfectly accessible to anywone havig read a more general book or seen a couple of horizon episodes

Captain Scott, by Ranulph Fiennes. Only biography of Scott written by a polar explorer.
Very balanced re Scott, but not remotely on the other biographers, who he thinks largely wanted to blame Scott for every tiny error.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I just finished His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet. It's a really atmospheric novel about a killing in the Scottish Highlands in the nineteenth century. Definitely recommended.

Top Bottom