What book are you guys currently reading

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Soup890, 18 Aug 2014.

1. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  2. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

Volume 2 of, The World Crisis by Winson S Churchill. The casual disregard that some of the Generals threw thousands of lives into the grinder on little more than a feeling.

Some of those Blackadder Goes Forth lines are very true.

meta lon and Gravity Aided like this.
  3. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

I have just finished , the tour according to G

Gravity Aided likes this.
  4. Denis99

Denis99 Well-Known Member

The Border by Don Winslow.

It is the third book in a trilogy “ The Power of the Dog”.

The previous two books are excellent, started reading it last night, read for two hours solid.

Excellent stuff.

5. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Tom Wood,The Enemy, in the Victor the assassin series. Excellent

Denis99 likes this.
  6. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Been reading a lot of Japanese crime fiction recently, and I can very much recommend A Cop's Eyes, by Gaku Yakumaru.

Unusually, for these days, the cover is a very strong design too..
    book_acopseyes.jpg

Last edited: 13 Mar 2019
    Fnaar and Denis99 like this.
  7. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Guru

The Hydrogen Sonata : Iain Banks
    upload_2019-3-13_16-6-18.png

Not the best book of the Culture, but still head and shoulders above most other science fiction around. When he died it was so sad :sad:

Garry A likes this.
  8. Flying_Monkey

It was a great loss, but this is also a boom time for SF right now. There's more amazing stuff being written than ever. If you want to stick with far future space opera-y things, there's Banks' friends Ken Macleod (most recently the 'Second Law' sequence that begins with The Corporation Wars: Dissidence) and Charles Stross (Accelerando, Empire Games). And his influence is all over the place in the weird military SF of Yoon Ha Lee (starting with Ninefox Gambit), or the Culture-meets-Vietnam 'Xuya' novellas by Aliette de Bodard (On a Red Station, Drifting; The Tea Master and the Detective etc.), in Ann Leckie's intelligent ships in Ancilliary Justice etc. Other things I'd recommend that just have Banks's humanity include Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet and sequels and Emma Newman's Planetfall sequence.

9. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Finished The Master by Andrew Marr a couple of weeks ago. It was read following a recommendation by Mrs B, but I found it quite hard to connect to the characters to begin with and the conclusion unraveled a little too quickly for my liking.
    Currently working through The Pankhursts by Martin Pugh. The read is made easier by personal knowledge of many of the northern references.

10. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Guru

Thank for that. I have already read a lot of those you mention, Ann Leckie and Becky Chambers are very interesting twists on the classic space ships and aliens stories although I found the second of Leckie's books rather a "filler". Can't get on with Ken Macleod, too Scottish perhaps :smile:

I will check out some of the others - many thanks

11. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

Just finished a very strong novel called The Twelve....by Stuart Neville. Based around an ex IRA contract killer who served time until "the agreement". He is now mentally haunted by the spirits of 12 people he murdered.
    What makes it really scary is that it takes you into the world of the killers and those that ordered the killings, some of whom are now politicians and €millionaires from money the UK is pouring in to keep the peace. It also takes you into the world of corrupt uk politicians.
    There is now a follow up which I must get hold of.

Hugh Manatee, Fnaar and Denis99 like this.
  12. oldwheels

oldwheels Veteran

The Kingdom by the Sea by Paul Theroux. Ploughed through most of this. Based on the areas I know well this is all total rubbish. A travel round the coast of Britain allegedly but I certainly would not recommend it. Must make a change to find a negative opinion as most people understandably only mention books they like.

Fnaar likes this.
  13. Proto

Proto Guru

Dispatches from Pluto by Richard Grant (no, not the actor bloke)

New York based travel writer and his girlfriend move to Pluto, Mississippi, and he writes about their experiences there. Complete culture shock, just as you’d expect - race, poverty, guns, hunting, politics, wildlife.

Easy to read and a fascinating view of a different world. Highly recommended.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2019
    Hugh Manatee and Fnaar like this.
  14. Elswick Cotterpin

Elswick Cotterpin Über Member

Trustee from the toolroom, Nevil Shute.

Ian H and Fnaar like this.
  15. Flying_Monkey

Personally I am not a fan of Leckie, but I know a lot of people who are, so was trying to be fair!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice