What book are you reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
John the Monkey said:
Anyone read much Iain M. Banks? I've finished my train book ("I am Legend") and have a choice of "The Algebraist" or "Inversions" for my next read - any recommendations as to which should go first..?

Read Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games and Excession. I thought they were all right but you have to be familiar with the culture to get the most out of them. I thought his non-SF was better though.

yello

marinyork said:
I thought his non-SF was better though.

Agreed. I know Banks is an SF fan but I found his SF writings a little formulaic... no, that's a bit harsh, maybe 'too faithful to SF tradition' is perhaps a better way of putting it. When you consider the imagination and originality he shows in his 'sans M' works it's quite surprising really.

I'm currently reading 'Torture Garden' by Octave Mirabeau.

Noodley said:
:blush: I'm still trying to get through Bill Bryson's book kindly loaned to me by speicher...:blush:

Have you decided if he's for you yet?

I've just finished The Angry Island by AA Gill. I thought it was a splendid book, one of a handful which I found truly insightful, even if I don't see eye to eye on everything. Don't know what to read next, I'm very much a bookshop/Amazon browser who tends to pick on a fancy.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
yello said:
Agreed. I know Banks is an SF fan but I found his SF writings a little formulaic... no, that's a bit harsh, maybe 'too faithful to SF tradition' is perhaps a better way of putting it. When you consider the imagination and originality he shows in his 'sans M' works it's quite surprising really.

I disagree completely. I think that whilst he has written some okay mainstream fiction - to my mind, Espedair Street is by far the sweetest and most deeply felt - his sf is much wittier and more ironic and more interestingly political. What you perhaps forget now is how much Consider Phlebas and the other 'Culture' novels revitalised and reinvented space opera, so that now, sure, everyone and their dog is writing it again, but that wasn't the case when he started.

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
spandex said:
On your bicycle by Jim Mcgurn one of the best books ive ever read.

Creep!:wacko:

OK, it is a good book

yello

Flying_Monkey said:
I disagree completely. I think that whilst he has written some okay mainstream fiction - to my mind, Espedair Street is by far the sweetest and most deeply felt - his sf is much wittier and more ironic and more interestingly political. What you perhaps forget now is how much Consider Phlebas and the other 'Culture' novels revitalised and reinvented space opera, so that now, sure, everyone and their dog is writing it again, but that wasn't the case when he started.

I guess we'll have to agree to differ then. Personally, I don't think Iain M was offering anything anywhere near in the same league as, say, Robert Heinlein or Isaac Asimov. Whether he's revitalised the genre, I couldn't say since I no longer read SF. His "mainstream" novels, however, I found complex and fascinating though, to be honest, it is many years since I read him.

microphonie

Flying_Monkey said:
Don't get me wrong - I like a good technothriller (e.g.: Richard Caborn's stuff)...

Not heard of him - will keep a look out for some. Any other good SF recommendations (along the lines of Iain M. Banks, Jeff Noon, Alexander Besher...)?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Dannyg said:
Gosh - instant influence. I should become a book critic. Let me know what you think, as I haven't persuaded many other people to read it yet.

Thanks for the tip (Vasily Grossman's "Life and Fate")

It's odd that I had not come across this novel before, I hadn't even heard of Grossman until I read your post. Strange that I should (finally!) hear about it on a cycling forum. It does seem to have gained a higher profile in recent years- I've found some reviews while Googling, I obviously missed them first time around.

I've read it, but I haven't finished with it. It's become one of those books that I'm going to live with for a long time. I'm already considering returning to it now.

Top Bottom