What book are you reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hermann Hesse - Narcissus & Goldmund
Graham McCann - Spike & Co
Graham McCann - Dad's Army
Roger Melly - Roger's Profanisaurus: The Magna Farta Edition ;)
Ian Rankin - Exit Music
The Broons Annual

Andy

"In Search of Robert Millar"
Stunning book, well researched and written. Possibly, only possibly, the 2nd best cycle book I've read, behind Flying Scotsman!!

bobbyp

Kate Barker - Case histories
George Orwell - The Road to Wigan Pier (very thought provoking, amazing how little some things have changed)
Terrry Deary - The Terrible Tudors
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The House of the Dead
Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Siegfried Sassoon - Memoirs of an Infantry Officer (17 years I've been reading this for now!)

I really should just knuckle down and finish some of these. Or declare them unread.

Melvil

bobbyp said:
Kate Barker - Case histories
George Orwell - The Road to Wigan Pier (very thought provoking, amazing how little some things have changed)
Terrry Deary - The Terrible Tudors
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The House of the Dead
Roald Dahl - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Siegfried Sassoon - Memoirs of an Infantry Officer (17 years I've been reading this for now!)

I really should just knuckle down and finish some of these. Or declare them unread.

I read this whilst on holiday in Barcelona and thought exactly the same thing!

microphonie

Paulus said:
This last few months I have got into Robert Rankin. He is a west London Terry Pratchet, but with more humour. I am reading the Brentford trilogies at the moment. The present one is called East of Ealing. There are 8 of them???? I find them very funny in a quirky sort of way.

I love Robert Rankin! The Armageddon Trilogy is superb - Barry the Time Sprout is a legend! The Hugo Rune books are good too.

Just finished The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (it's a decent SF thriller) and The Science of Discworld III by Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen & Ian Stewart (popular science explained via a Pratchett Discworld story - all 3 in the series are worth getting).

Don't know what's next in line, possibly some Will Self, Irvine Welch or Richard Dawkins. Also keeping my eyes open for a s/h copy of Matter by Iain Banks.

Rapples

Guru
miloat said:
Yet to read that one by Orwell homage to catolonia is a great book of his.

I've just re read this

http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/lion/english/

If you like Orwell it's worth a look :blush:

Fiona N

Veteran
SamNichols said:
That's one of my favourite books ever. I love Philip Roth, he's an absolute giant in the US, but not a lot of people seem to read him over here. American Pastoral is his best though.

I had a bit of a break from Roth after reading his early work about 20 years ago and then after picking up 'I married a communist' about 2 years ago, I suddenly realised I'd been missing that machine-gun delivery. Very much enjoying American Pastoral although I can't really see where it's going. 'Plot against America' was excellent too - I think I probably like it more than AP, so far at least, but it's a close run thing.

I agree with you on the ending to Perfume - very seriously weird.

Top Bottom