What book are you reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

derall;(and hoping it's going to be better than The Steaming Pile of Garbage that was The Steep Approach to Garbadale...) [/QUOTE said:
oh crap - ive just went out at lunchtime and bought that! ;)

derall

Guru
Smeggers said:
oh crap - ive just went out at lunchtime and bought that! ;)

It's probably a fairly good read, just not so good as what I've come to expect from his previous - the pop culture references are all getting a bit forced now, and though there's the usual Banks' "sting in the tail" ending, I'd figured out the sting in the tail by about page twenty.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mondobongo said:
Tim Krabbe's The Rider a little slower than I thought it would be but its not bad.
I enjoyed it. I read it again a couple of years later in fact.

domtyler said:
Tipping Point
I finished that one last week and found it quite thought-provoking. It's one of the books I bought to read on my frequent train journeys back to the midlands from Yorkshire. Another one, which I'm about 1/4 through is How Mumbo-jumbo Conquered the World. I'm quite enjoying that too.

For educational purposes (I need to set up a website and I don't want to pay someone else to do it), I'm also reading a book on Cascading Style Sheets, one on PHP Security, and one on PHP/MySQL. I'll be looking out for a good guide to Linux soon.

simoncc

1066. The Year of Three Battles by Frank McLynn.

Fiona N

Veteran
SamNichols said:
I take issue with the question in the title. It should be: 'which book are you reading?'.

Likewise - I'm not always in the mood for froth or heavy, either, so I've got:
Phillip Roth's American Pastoral,
Neil Stephenson's Interface,
Neil Shubin's Your Inner Fish (evolutionary biology, nothing more weird),
Karen Armstrong's The Great Transformation (history of pre-Christian religion - fascinating even to an atheist and much recommended)
Peter Parson's City of the Sharp-nosed Fish (archaeology)

all on the go (and a Michael Dibdin Aurelius Zen book in reserve for when I finish Interface)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
4) Perfume: Patrick Suskind

One of the best books EVER!!! Oh my word it's brilliant!

I'm reading 'Lucca' by some Danish chap which is very good. I like Scandinavian stuff, it's always a bit barking. 'Troll' by Johanna Sinisalo is the wierdest, darkest most breathtaking book I've ever read....hugely recommended if you're up for it!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Can't say I liked Perfume at all, thought it was the worst book I've ever read. I saw the film recently though out of curiosity. Glad others are reading Douglas Coupland, going to get round to those soon.

I'm reading The Lucifer Effect
Don Quixote
and Jamaica Inn

Danny

Legendary Member
Currently reading the "Yiddish Policeman's Union" which is an interesting variant on a traditional detective story, and certainly better than a lot of the run of the mill crime novels.

Over Xmas I read "Life and Fate" by the Russian writer Vasily Grossman. It is a sort of 20th Centuary version of War and Peace set against the backdrop of the Battle of Stalingrad, and some argue that it is one of the greatest novels of the last centuary. It is a long book but easy to read - however I had to skip a few chapters because they were so harrowing.

In between I read Engine City of the the science fiction novels by Ken Macleod. His books are always great fun, and are actually less science fiction than stories set in the future usually against a backdrop of political and social conflict.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Currently reading "The Yellow Admiral" by Patrick O'Brian. It is (I think) the 19th in the series. It is the 3rd or 4th time I have ploughed through the whole sequence - a masterpiece of literature (IMHO) even if the last couple of tomes lack the detail and sharpness of the earlier books.

Andrew

Top Bottom