What brainboxes have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Cycling proficiency and 25 metre swim. :smile:

Already we're seeing what a talented bunch we are.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
mr_hippo said:
Well, I can put about 21 letters after my name and this does not count the non-academic letters. I can boast that I had the CDM(FN) bestowed on me last Monday for services rendered..

Cadbury's Dairy Milk (Fruit and Nut)?

May I enquire what services were rendered?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I got the grand total of...

7 CSE grade2's
1 CSE grade 1 (O level gradeB) in Geography
Cycling proficency 1968,
Swimming certificates, beginers 1966, elementry 1967 and intermediate 1968.

I feel a bit inadequate to some of you lot.

Advanced City and Guilds in carpentry and joinery.

But what pisses me off is the snobbery around degrees etc.

I was turned down for a job last year even though they admitted I was the perfect candidate and had excellent references from eminent people in both the cycling and museums fields.

The reason - I don't have a degree! I could have had one in wiping my arse or something similar and that would've be ok, but no degree = no job.:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Got a first degree and a load of so-called 'professional IT' qualifications. But it is the ten years experience working in Investment Banking IT that brings the spondoolies in.

Maz

Guru
I once had a blood test and failed.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
betty swollocks said:
Cadbury's Dairy Milk (Fruit and Nut)? Correct

May I enquire what services were rendered?
Changing a strip light.

Questions asked by degree holders:-
Engineering degree - "How can we build this?"
Accountancy degree - "How much will it cost?"
Arts degree - "Do you want fries with it?"

Hilldodger said:
Advanced City and Guilds in carpentry and joinery.

But what pisses me off is the snobbery around degrees etc.

I was turned down for a job last year even though they admitted I was the perfect candidate and had excellent references from eminent people in both the cycling and museums fields.

The reason - I don't have a degree! I could have had one in wiping my arse or something similar and that would've be ok, but no degree = no job.:smile:

My F-I-L has the same problem. He is an estate manager in the national trust - been doing the job 20 years, manages a big budget, lots of people, has pioneered and implemented all kinds of conservation techniques, has lots of skills....and he has an HND in farming that he got 30 odd years ago. So, despite masses of hands on expereicne he cannot apply for an equivalent job in the national trust, or a promotion, because he doesn't have a degree in 'countryside management'. I guess that subject wasn't invented in the 1960s when he was at college. So in his case it's ageist too.

It would be interesting to do a comparison of qualifications against earnings. Whilst not wanting to get into a 'I am considerably richer than you' type scenario I've got a feeling I might earn a fair bit more than some people on here who've got heaps of academic qualifications.

walker

Dave Davenport said:
It would be interesting to do a comparison of qualifications against earnings. Whilst not wanting to get into a 'I am considerably richer than you' type scenario I've got a feeling I might earn a fair bit more than some people on here who've got heaps of academic qualifications.

The joys of being in Manual Labour.

A plumber by any chance?

Top Bottom