What brainboxes have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Well, my collection is not as august as some on here.
A selection of O Grades (cant really remember number)
5 x Scottish Highers
Post Grad Diploma
MSc (nearly- got an e-mail from my tutor last night that my dissertation will pass muster - yipee)
Coastal Skipper (and a bunch of related qualifications)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
9 O levels
3 A levels
BA Hons in psychology
2x PGCE
Post Grad Diploma
MA

my ex neighbour used to get an xmas bonus about 3 times my annual salary. He left school with 1 O level. Nuff said, really! :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Advanced City and Guilds in carpentry and joinery.

But what pisses me off is the snobbery around degrees etc.

I was turned down for a job last year even though they admitted I was the perfect candidate and had excellent references from eminent people in both the cycling and museums fields.

The reason - I don't have a degree! I could have had one in wiping my arse or something similar and that would've be ok, but no degree = no job.:blush:

On the other hand, I recently applied for three part time admin type jobs, one of which was a library assistant job I'd have really enjoyed, and apparently haven't even got an interview for any of them. Unless my application, between leaving my computer and arriving at the recruitment office, became a garbled mess, I can only assume I'm 'over qualified'. Which is a bit shoot, as I can;t really do anything to remedy the fact - if I leave the qualifications off an application, I have 7 blank years to account for somehow...

Generally I'm not remotely bothered if people earn more than me, and what qualifications they have - if I wanted to earn megabucks so badly, I'd choose a career that gave me the chance to. What I actually want is a nice interesting little job to pay the bills, and as little stress as possible.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Tetedelacourse said:
Can't believe none of you are professors

It's just a matter of names for titles. I would be a 'professor' of some kind if I was working in America or Canada, or probably Europe too. Everyone and their dog is a professor in most countries...

ChrisKH

Guru
I believe I should get credit for my wife's degree as I helped her so much. Recording sound levels at Southend Airport in the pouring rain as part of her dissertation was no fun. In that respect she was ahead of the crowd as she did an Environmental Studies degree. Would be very right on now. Totally useless unless you work for Greenpeace, but very right on. :blush:

I have some academic quals but have never crowed. Certainly not since a cousin of mine left school with nothing but a very able mouth and now earns six figure sums selling top of the range cars. And he's happy doing what he does.

Flying_Monkey said:
It's just a matter of names for titles. I would be a 'professor' of some kind if I was working in America or Canada, or probably Europe too. Everyone and their dog is a professor in most countries...

It goes like this:

Rest of world: Assistant professor; Associate professor; Full professor
UK: Lecturer; Senior Lecturer; Professor

In the UK they have this funny position between SL and prof called 'Reader', which is a research oriented senior post. My only ambition is to be a reader. I don't ever want to be a professor myself because the unis really get their money's worth and the admin load is horrendous. Plus everyone I know who has been a professor by the time they are 40 have had a nervous breakdown soon after because of the pressure! No ta - there are limits.

Tetedelacourse

Kirstie said:
It goes like this:

Rest of world: Assistant professor; Associate professor; Full professor
UK: Lecturer; Senior Lecturer; Professor

In the UK they have this funny position between SL and prof called 'Reader', which is a research oriented senior post. My only ambition is to be a reader. I don't ever want to be a professor myself because the unis really get their money's worth and the admin load is horrendous. Plus everyone I know who has been a professor by the time they are 40 have had a nervous breakdown soon after because of the pressure! No ta - there are limits.

Real Professure!

Maz

Guru
I took Spanish A-level in night classes and got a grade A. I was well chuffed...and that was 20 years after taking my A-levels first time round.

Eventually my quals opened the door but only after I'd prostituted myself working for nothing for 6 months and then they were impressed enough to give me a job. From then on I didn't look back. Now I find I wish I'd had the imagination to do something else. Still it has put bread on the table so can't complain too much.

Arch, I presume you've thought about getting your foot in the door with a bit of 'can I get a bit of experience here - willing to do it on a voluntary basis for a bit'. There used to be schemes aimed at graduates to do that. Once you've got some experience to go with those quals, you'll be in and off.

Edit: Not prostituted as in the oldest profession in the world, I hasten to add.

Arch said:
Which is a bit shoot, as I can;t really do anything to remedy the fact - if I leave the qualifications off an application, I have 7 blank years to account for somehow...

HR people look out for this, and assume that any missing period means you were in jail at the time. ;) However, with something as meaty as 7 years, you might just get an interview so they can ask how many people you murdered. :blush:

surfgurl

Can I claim a prize for the most irrelevant qualification? I have a MA in Popular Culture. It bares no relevance to my current job and I haven't quite found a career path where it does.
I also having a cycling proficiency certificate from the mid 1980s.

Bigtallfatbloke

Clever bunch ain't you!...I wonder what a similar post on a motoring forum would throw up?:blush::rolleyes:

..as for me..well I'm dim compared to you lot:

9 O levels
GCSE Grade 1 Maths
3 A levels
HND business studies
Financial planning certificates
Swimming certificates
Life saving Bronze medallion
Third place rossette in a showjumping competition
Box of maltesers for a darts competition at a village fete
Clean Uk Driving license (until the speeding fine arrives)
Caring certificate for being the best Dad in the world issued my my son:smile:

Top Bottom