What brainboxes have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
redcogs said:
i understand Kirst. Practical intelligence allied to conceptual skills seem quite a rare combination. i've known some utterly brilliant academics who can barely tie a boot-lace.

Whereas I know one I'd have as my luxury on Desert Island Discs, as he knows how to do or make or cook anything!

But yeah, some of them are useless!

I may as well join the crowd! Anyway after my brush with fame everyone will know I have a PhD:rolleyes:

6 'O' grades, 1 standard grade
5 Highers
3 Certificates of Six Year studies
BSc(Hons)
MSc (Med Sci)
PhD

There really is no relationship between qualifications and earnings though. I have an old school friend who has a lot fewer qualifications than me, but is now a multi-millionaire (marketing). I work in the NHS and it is only really the medical doctors who get the big bucks!:wacko:

magnatom said:
I work in the NHS and it is only really the medical doctors who get the big bucks!:wacko:

Even worse than that, you can end up with medical students telling you that you're not a real doctor and can't teach them anything. This happened to a friend of mine with a Ph.D who taught endocrinology in a teaching hospital.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Big 'ed time

11 O's
4 A Levels
BSc Physics
PhD Nuclear Physics

and for some bizarre reason I've got a Oil and Gas Industry BOSIET Certificate after some fun being tipped up in underwater helicopter simulators!

Generally the PhD is a waste of time outside of academia and some other narrow disciplines. I spent a few years on research contracts after finishing 'writing up' then tried to get a job at Sellafield of all places. After that didn't happen I used some accumlated IT knowledge to change career in the mid '90s. The 'Dr' looks good on a credit card, but it wasn't 4 years well spent in my case.

marinyork said:
I have a degree in the mickey mouse subject of Mathematics.

You mean...you can work out the surface area of Mickey's ears and stuff like that? Cool!

SamNichols

Oh yes, my degree is in Theology, so it is both outdated and pointless. But, I know more about Augustine than other people, which may be of use. It hasn't been of use yet, but it shall be one day.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, I've got some O levels and A levels. And a biology degree.
I was lucky enough that my employer allowed me to write up some of my research for a PhD, and paid the fees (hard work it was, though, for seven years...)
Most of the skills I currently use, though, I've learned since leaving University, and most of what I learned at University has never been much use. So I have a lot of sympathy with those who don't have degrees and are proud of it - apart from getting me a job in science to begin with, mine's been little use to me. It was interesting, though.

Much more useful skills include, off-road driving, tree-climbing and rope work generally (learned at a course for tree surgeons), radio-tracking, electronics, simple engineering, welding/brazing/machine shop work, motor mechanics, agricultural practice and agronomy, trailer handling, photography, ornithology... none of it learned at University.

djmc

Über Member
8 O levels, 3 A levels, BA classics, PhD Classics (on Plato), wanted to lecture in Classics but even in those days jobs in the field were like hens' teeth. Went into programming, now retired. My degrees were not at all relevant to my work but to me far more valuable.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Approx 7 'O' levels and a CSE
2 A's
HND Technology of Foods
BSc Biochemistry

Graduate of the school of hard knocks!

My experience is that qualifications help get you onto the work ladder, the more qualifications, the higher you start. In my "Vocational" type employment they very quickly become irrelevent as experience and track-record become the main keys to success.

Top Bottom