What brainboxes have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Of the people I know who have PhD and DPhils I have a lot of respect for the work that went in as in a few cases the PhD came at high personal costs.

For me, anyone who is self taught and sticks at a particular skill gets my respect whether that be vocational or academic and whatever "level". For me a degree and particularly subject is just really a small indication of what sort of person you are to an extent, those interests and ways of thinking were there before you did the degree and afterwards in a lot of people. Unfortunately it's rather difficult to persuade employers of these things without the letters and the evidence of things in the workplace.

stevenb

Plain GCSE's....but I have a great job now...so I cant moan. ;)...althought its hard work.
I was a believer in getting out of scool and into the workplace myself...and using common sense to get myself through life.....so far ...so good.
Hats off to all those with qualifications though...fair play to you indeed.
My cousin was on the news when she was younger.
IIRC she got 10 A+ stars on her GCSE's, god knows what on her A levels, Passed her first uni degree in something like advanced molecular physics or whatever the hell it was called...then she got offered a free Scholarshiop to Manchester Uni......then straight from there into a job working for the Government heading up a research laboratory with many perks including free accomodation. Mucho respecto. :smile:

jonesy

Guru
9 'O' levels, 3 'A' levels plus 'S' paper, physics degree (sadly it was a 'Desmond'..;)), Msc, PhD. Then I decided it was time to grow up, cut down on the beer and get a job! No Bronze Swimming Certificate though!

redcogs

Guru
mjones said:
9 'O' levels, 3 'A' levels plus 'S' paper, physics degree (sadly it was a 'Desmond'..;)), Msc, PhD. Then I decided it was time to grow up, cut down on the beer and get a job! No Bronze Swimming Certificate though!

A dunce then

redcogs

Guru
My answer to elitist university types was well portrayed in Lindsay Anderson's 'If'..

;);)

TVC

Kirstie said:
Flippin eck - a patent!! Gosh...!
Why rolly eyes at the OUBS course you did...? It wasn't that bad, was it ;)

The module was supposed to be the beginning of a DMS but I left the company and so there it has stood, all alone, ever since.

yoyo

Might as well join the rat race

BA honours degree in Geography and Archaeology
Master's degree in Town and Country Planning
Performing diplomas in organ and piano.
Paid very weakly!!
No cycling qualifications. Few practical skills.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cathryn said:
Feeling quite intimidated by all the PHDs...wow, you guys are brainy!

Some of us are also hung like donkeys and have incredible sexual technique...

and if I ever find out who they are, I'll be jealous.

surfgurl said:
Can I claim a prize for the most irrelevant qualification?

I'm afraid that goes to me, with my M.Sc. in Environmental Science and my job as the driver of an articulated lorry.;)
On the plus side, I earn nearly twice as much as my girlfriend, who is actually using her M.Phil. working for the RSPB. So even if I had ever used my academic qualifications I'd be poorer and (more importantly) less happy than I am now. The value of my education was it allowed me to prove something to myself, and taught me to think scientifically and question things intelligently. The letters after my name (apart from "HGV 1") are secondary.

Top Bottom