What brainboxes have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
do'h! of course!

domtyler

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
Clever bunch ain't you!...I wonder what a similar post on a motoring forum would throw up?;):rolleyes:

..as for me..well I'm dim compared to you lot:

9 O levels
GCSE Grade 1 Maths
3 A levels
HND business studies
Financial planning certificates
Swimming certificates
Life saving Bronze medallion
Third place rossette in a showjumping competition
Box of maltesers for a darts competition at a village fete
Clean Uk Driving license (until the speeding fine arrives)
Caring certificate for being the best Dad in the world issued my my son:smile:

Yeah, but that is all offset by the Official Chelsea Supporters Trust Member certificate. :smile: :blush:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Clever bunch ain't you!...I wonder what a similar post on a motoring forum would throw up?:blush::rolleyes:

A lot of lies:

"I was just tootling through Balliol, and I saw an open road to the Ireland Scholarship, so I just gave it the gun and let rip with Catullus. Ended up proxima'd, but it was worth for the burn. Got stopped by the Master of the College who said I should try a Fellowship of All Souls as it gives you some serious street cred."

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed said:
may i ask why you did it then? :blush:

Fun? That's more or less why I did my BA and my BSc - well that and to shake me up and get me out of a rut a bit.

There was something about this on Breakfast this morning, about students dropping out, and they had a very sensible chap, some pop singer, who dropped out of a medical degree to do his music. He said, a lot of kids do degrees because it's 'what you do' - school, college, uni.... Many kids at 18 don't have the kind of forethought to think, is this really valuable?

Occurred to me, apart from a compulsory gap year (get a job, or do voluntary work, see if you really want to go to uni), another idea might be to have a first year of a degree that was 'non-comittal'. So you can try it, and if you realise it's not acutally for you, you get a diploma or something, and can leave without feeling like a drop out. Better I'd say, to leave, than to keep plugging away at something you now realise isn't really your cup of tea. Yes, you can just leave, but there is a certain sigma, a feeling of not being as good as everyone else, if you don't complete.

Crackle - good point. The one day a week job I do have will be good for that - getting various admin experience (and most importantly, confidence to tackle stuff). But the library shelving assistant job, I would really have liked, and I'm not sure they take on volunteers.... Ho hum. Something will turn up.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Tetedelacourse said:
Can't believe none of you are professors. The way some people profess to know so much about stuff on here...

What a let down.

I was an Assistant Professor of English at the Sur College of Education, Oman

redcogs

Guru
i'm that elderly that my earliest qualifications (GCSE various grades) can't really count. Bit of a late developer.

BA Hons 1st class (history and politics), with special award for 'student of the year'..:blush::thumbsup:

i'm a house parent looking after two youngsters while Mrs redcogs earns the daily bread, so it can't really be said that i use the degree qualification that well.

However, i have, in the past, but not for financial gain, which is a vastly over rated concept which fails to take ability into account in any event. All the most 'intelligent' people i've met were working people from tough backgrounds.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
domtyler said:
Derrr.... it might have had something to do with the cheap booze, drugs and the chance for regular sex with strangers. :blush:;)

You've obviously been to Stevenage!:smile: except for the cheap booze thing, and we've got 2 Wetherspoons and an Aldi doing their best with that...
And the wonder that is Asda Smart Price Vodka.
*genuinely wishes was making this up*

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Surely they wanted someone about 6'3" tall for that? :wacko:

I think they provide a little set of steps.

I was looking forward to the chance to "Sssssshhhhhhhhh" at noisy students though....

redcogs said:
All the most 'intelligent' people i've met were working people from tough backgrounds.

I would tend to agree with you - ie people who apply themselves with common sense...

I'm having a go at my profession here but sometimes I cannot believe how flaky, vague and egotistical some academics are...It's like they're in another world half of the time. I count myself as being at the more practical end of the scale but sometimes academics are bloody impossible to manage and I completely understand how frustrated some of our administrators get sometimes.

redcogs

Guru
i understand Kirst. Practical intelligence allied to conceptual skills seem quite a rare combination. i've known some utterly brilliant academics who can barely tie a boot-lace.

Top Bottom