What Camera (still pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
I normally just use my cheapo phone to take pics whilst out, but, i am thinking about maybe i should take a proper camera.

Budget would be around £80 and needs to be as small / light as poss.

Any recommendations..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cameras.co.uk do good reviews, maybe the Nikon Coolpix S6200 is good for your budget... more because of the 10x optical zoom than the 16mp, having a good zoom makes a versatile camera and is always lots of fun :smile:

Kies

@Cycleops posted this in a similar thread ...
Just flicking through a recent "What Camera" they recommend several compacts at less than a hundred quid. Nikon Coolpix S31(which is also waterproof), Panasonic Lumix XS1, Canon Ixus 132 & Samsung WB 30f (which has wi-fi and10x zoom). All should give you good clear point and shoot snaps. Most will shoot movies in HD. I bought a Sony RX100 which is truly fantastic but a bit pricey.

Kies

Been thinking the same for ages. Stick it in a water proof tri bag. No need to dismount when a photo opp presents itself :click

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you have a half descent phone camera, an £80 camera is not going to be a great improvement.
really? 16mp and 10x optical zoom.... does a 'half decent' phone camera offer that?

I'm actually quite gutted as a lot of these sub £100 cameras have a similar/better spec to the one i spent £250 on five years ago... :sad: :cry:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've got a Leica cover on my phone, get one and you'll be snapping away like Henri Cartier-Bresson.

image.jpg

Kies

No phone camera currently on sale has the same sensor size as a £100 compact camera. Also a compact camera can be held properly, which reduces shake/vibration. The quality of the image may look the same on a phone screen, but look at it on a pc monitor and you will see distortion at the edges.
I used to have a great 5mp casio camera that took way better pictures compared to the supposedly 8mp camera on my galaxy S3

Top Bottom