What Camera (still pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
No phone camera currently on sale has the same sensor size as a £100 compact camera. Also a compact camera can be held properly, which reduces shake/vibration. The quality of the image may look the same on a phone screen, but look at it on a pc monitor and you will see distortion at the edges.
I used to have a great 5mp casio camera that took way better pictures compared to the supposedly 8mp camera on my galaxy S3
The OP is talking £80 camera.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

rualexander

Legendary Member

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If you have a half descent phone camera, an £80 camera is not going to be a great improvement.

Yes but surely you do not get an optical zoom with the vast majority of smartphones unless you pay through the nose. I got an Olympus SZ-31MR mainly because I wanted it's camcorder feature which is really, really good way better than my Samsung Galaxy S3. It's stills are better too and having a 24x optical zoom comes in pretty useful for both pictures and camcorder. Sure it's really a glorified point and shoot but it's way better than my mobile phone is. It cost me £150, but I'd much rather have a dedicated camera than a mobile phone. It's mainly the optical zoom at a reasonable price and better camcorder feature for me.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/1292086/olympus-sz-31mr

derrick

Yes but surely you do not get an optical zoom with the vast majority of smartphones unless you pay through the nose. I got an Olympus SZ-31MR mainly because I wanted it's camcorder feature which is really, really good way better than my Samsung Galaxy S3. It's stills are better too and having a 24x optical zoom comes in pretty useful for both pictures and camcorder. Sure it's really a glorified point and shoot but it's way better than my mobile phone is. It cost me £150, but I'd much rather have a dedicated camera than a mobile phone. It's mainly the optical zoom at a reasonable price and better camcorder feature for me.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/digital-cameras/1292086/olympus-sz-31mr

I have a dedicated camera, an SLR, but the guy wants to spend £80. not £150.

derrick

While i am here i also have a compact, a Go Pro, and a couple of others, but if i am out on the bike the phone is good enough for me, unless we are touring then i would take the SLR.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have a dedicated camera, an SLR, but the guy wants to spend £80. not £150.

Yes I know Derrick, but surely you get a better optical zoom on an £80 camera than a phone which costs way more. I guess I was just stating that the optical zoom is what is missing from the majority of mobile phones. If that is not an issue then I agree that a mobile is probably just a as good. Also the LED flash on the majority of phones is shite too, just like using a crap torch. Just saying :smile:

Kies

All i am saying is for £80 you will not get a significant improvement with an £80 camera. Spend a bit more and you will start to see improvements.:thumbsup:
Fair point derrick - i will spend around £100 and let's hope the OP will also after reading this thread

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
All i am saying is for £80 you will not get a significant improvement with an £80 camera. Spend a bit more and you will start to see improvements.:thumbsup:
of course the more you spend delivers improvements... sensor size is the biggie with digital cameras. The camera i spent £250 on 5 years ago has a small sensor. The similar spec'd £70-£100 cameras these days will have a very small sensor too (compared to even a cheap DSLR)... but the size of a sensor in mobile phone is going to be titchy titchy tiny.. and then the focal length between the lens and the sensor is nothing, literally nothing compared to the telescopic lens on even a cheapo 'short' zoom. Sensor size (which is comparable to film size back in the day eg 35mm as opposed to 110mm, or crikey, the disc camera!), is where it's all at.... and even a small sensor on a budget camera is going to be bigger, better and as a result (maybe) less noisy than and titchy sensor in a phone... especially in low light.

Last edited:
Top Bottom