What can I do with problem with online bike shop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

I ordered a Kinesis T2 V2 frame from winstanleysbikes.co.uk. It arrived but the paint was not done properly and is flaking off, you can literally peel it of around this part. As soon as time passes and this bit gets wet, it'll get a lot worse.

paint_zps801ead8f.jpg

There is also a chip at near the top of the seat tube and some loose bits inside the frame that rattle.

So I contacted them and they said they will have this one collected by courier today. Which has not happened, I waited in all day.
I just got an email saying it will be two weeks before they will get a new one to me, after they told me 7 days yesterday.

What can I do? I can't afford to keep waiting in all day, or pay to send it back to them.

Pretty close to ordering another one from another shop!

Paid on cc, will give them a ring later.

yello

Oh dear,winstanly. Not a good reputation I'm afraid.

That said, they've stuck there hands up and said they'll change it. They can't do fairer than that. Speak to them, see what they want to do regarding collection.

Give them the benefit of the doubt, give them the chance to put it right. There's not a lot else you can do at this point. Be assertive bit non aggressive.

OP
OP
M

MrWill

They were really funny about it when phoned them, I think first lad got in trouble for agreeing for a return without me sending photos etc. Not happy at all to wait another two weeks for a replacement, which would then total 3 weeks after ordering it anyway.

They said multiple times it will be collected today, as I can't keep taking days of work and waiting in all day for it to be collected.

Just calledd cc company, they said no problem, and I've to give Winstanley until Fri to resolve it. Then they will step in.

Hope I don't sound impatient or brutal. I really dicked around by Ribble last year and have had enough of companys like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: _aD

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, sounds like you've been very unlucky. I would think they should resolve it now to your satisfaction with the threat of the CC company hanging over them, and so they should.

Globalti

Legendary Member
FWIW Mrs Gti knows the owner quite well through business. he's a tough but decent guy so if you have a problem I'd say you're not approaching them right.

Big Nick

Buy one somewhere else

Winstanleys have sent you a damaged product and need to step up and refund the postage

Follow up by never ordering from them again

vickster

Legendary Member
+1
I'd return it and get from elsewhere

This is totally their responsibility, and yes get it collected from elsewhere if you can't stay in

OP
OP
M

MrWill

Arrgggh they aren't even answering phone atm. What a nightmare.

Well after searching around, does anyone rate freeborn.co.uk, otherwise where else would be best to buy it from?

KneesUp

Guru
If you've waited in just tell them where they can collect from e.g. your work address in working hours. When they collect is up to them. Get an email with the date you can expect the replacement - don't let the fact that they failed to collect delay that.

I did this with a faulty mobile phone and two years later the faulty one is still boxed up ready to collect...

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not buy from your local kinesis dealer face to face, given your unlucky experiences with online retailers. Is the aggro worth saving a few quid?

OP
OP
M

MrWill

Nearest few places want 239.99 for it whereas online it's as low as 184. Not far from not being worth it atm.

OP
OP
M

MrWill

If you've waited in just tell them where they can collect from e.g. your work address in working hours. When they collect is up to them. Get an email with the date you can expect the replacement - don't let the fact that they failed to collect delay that.

I did this with a faulty mobile phone and two years later the faulty one is still boxed up ready to collect...
Heh thats funny. They said bluntly they won't post the new one without receiving the faulty one. Even though I said I was intending to have it built this weekend for a trip.

vickster

Legendary Member
To be honest, I don't blame them.

Have you tried to negotiate on price with the lbs. They may offer other sweeteners too

Top Bottom