What can I expect from riding clipped in ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yeah you've got it @jefmcg , you complete the look with white fluffy terry towling type socks as well but you'd never see me look like that ;)

Well not this early anyway !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You won't necessarily have a clipless moment and fall off. I never have. (yet)

I also always have my pedals on a loose tension. I started out that way and it ain't broke so I've never felt inclined to fix it.

tobykenobi

Über Member
just gone from mtb spds to look single sided road pedals, much harder to clip in on the road pedals, keep hitting the wrong side of the pedal and as there is no grip on the sole of the shoe foot usually slides off, very tricky on a hill start to get your foot in first go which usually leads to swearing. I will persivere for a while, if not i will go back to mtb spds and shoes

I did exactly this about a year ago. Got some SPD-SL pedals and cleats for my road bike , mainly 'cos they looked the part. Been riding on SPD double-sided for 15+ years. Never got the hang of it. As you say, an absolute bugger to start on a hill. Push down with one foot, flip the other pedal with toe, get shoe in right position and clip-in. All to be done quickly.

Couple of months back thought "Sod it" and bought some more double sided 520s. Still using the road shoes as SPD cleats attach to these. Much better. Only need to worry about getting the shoe in the right place to clip in.

tobykenobi

Über Member
Cool , so I can use them shoes with the current pedals if I wish , but be better to get spd-sl pedals & set the bike up with the spd-sl set up both pedals & shoes is that what you suggest ?

You can do both. I have similar shoes (in black!) and - see previous post of mine - initially had SPL-SL pedals and cleats then went back to SPDs. Both fit on the shoes.

Incidentally I bought some of these cleat covers on eBay as (unlike touring/MTB shoes) there's no recess and walking on the metal cleat is not easy.
$T2eC16h,!y0E9s2S9KJLBRG7c4QsTw--60_57.JPG

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Thanks all ...

Think I'm going to do as suggested by @cm2mackem take both shoes & get another set of pedals to suit the road shoes & get both set up in the store tomorrow , that way I'll have the option of either shoe / pedal type to see what I get on with best .

If it's the spd cleats then maybe I'll do as suggested by @tobykenobi & just get double sided spd pedals we shall see :smile:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
image.jpg

Well back from the Giant shop & had an hour or so in the trainer trying both shoes & both cleats , found it easier with the full spd-sl set up was suprised how easy it was to twist in & out of them & feel ill be up to speed in no time just need to get out & ride with them now .

Have my first timed event tomorrow but not going to risk it with either of the cleated set up so for tomorrow I will ride with the flats & then change the pedals over & get out during the week with the spd-sl set up .

Guess this type of question gets asked quite a lot so if it helps out another newbie going from flats to clips using the search for reference I purchased the mid range shimano spd-sl PD - R550 pedals

Pic attached

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Got out earlier for a little blast first time clipped in , I adjusted them to the least tension & in no time had the hang of un clipping , fealt really good & comfortable nice to feel the pull on the upstroke of the pedal , gagging to get out for another go now !

Again thanks for the advice given its appreciated

image.jpg

RedRider

Pulling through
Got out earlier for a little blast first time clipped in , I adjusted them to the least tension & in no time had the hang of un clipping , fealt really good & comfortable nice to feel the pull on the upstroke of the pedal , gagging to get out for another go now !

View attachment 128870
That's about 20mph average speed so a fair (clipless) clip indeed.

cm2mackem

Über Member

View attachment 128870
Well done what colour shoes next, you need more than one pair, we've also come up with the ingenious idea to ride back home after the London to Southend if you fancy it

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Well done what colour shoes next, you need more than one pair, we've also come up with the ingenious idea to ride back home after the London to Southend if you fancy it

Thanks , next shoes need to be black to compliment the bike don't you think , have 2 white pairs already

Liking the sound of the ingenious idea I'll have some of that then if that's ok :smile:

simongt

Guru
Colour - ? COLOUR - ? My spd shoes are so old that they are dark green & black suede, and my boots are dark green & brown suede. Yes, they're THAT old - ! But they're still in good nick, so why replace them eh - ?:sun:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
That's about 20mph average speed so a fair (clipless) clip indeed.

Garmin read 20.1 average , was quicker on Sunday in fact on flat pedals with my touring shoes 51 miler with an average of 21.1 guess it will take a bit of time to build up the speed with the new shoes / clips but fealt more efficient overall

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Just to update this ..

Half a dozen or so clipped in rides completed now & feels very comfortable & second nature un clipping without even really thinking about it , so anyone considering it do it !

No mishaps ( yet ) !

Top Bottom