What can I expect from riding clipped in ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
No I wasn't.
Just about everyone who uses clippies says they have caused them to fall off.
I abandoned them two years ago.

( Ducks down and waits for the incoming flack)

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Expect to fall off
Clippy pedals are dangerous

Guess that I will one day but so far so good , still on the loosest setting & so easy to get in & out don't even think about it , I'm certainly going to stick with them it's made a major improvement in my riding & more importantly the enjoyment that I get from riding clipped in

screenman

Legendary Member
No I wasn't.
Just about everyone who uses clippies says they have caused them to fall off.
I abandoned them two years ago.

( Ducks down and waits for the incoming flack)

I would suggest it is not the fault of the pedals. I am sure you as well as me have seen more people fall off bikes when not clipped in.

I nearly had a clipless-by-proxy moment ...

I was heading downhill in Richmond Park, when a rider coming towards me stopped, and then toppled like a tree in the grass. I immediately turned, then tried to change to small cog to cycle up the hill back to where she fell, and my chain came off. The sudden release of pressure had my legs spinning crazily, and I nearly fell over. She was fine, a little embarrassed. The hill was too much for her, and she stopped but forgot to unclip. We both agreed if I had fallen trying to help her, it would have been very awkward.

(The riders behind her going up the hill did not stop to see if she was ok, even though she was still turtling when I got to her. Selfish pricks.)

rovers1875

Veteran
Just swapped back to flats, I have had SPD's on the Cube since I bought it 10 months ago and although I have got used to them, I just don't like em. All my other bike are flats and I have never had a problem with my foot slipping, wet or dry and find no difference with acceleration either

tommaguzzi

Über Member
What I am saying is Cyclists now predominantly wear helmets to protect their heads should they fall off and then tie their feet to the pedals thereby increasing the chances of falling off. Where is the sense in that?
For normal people riding at normal speeds clippies have a negligible effect which is far outweighed by the danger of using them.

screenman

Legendary Member
What I am saying is Cyclists now predominantly wear helmets to protect their heads should they fall off and then tie their feet to the pedals thereby increasing the chances of falling off. Where is the sense in that?
For normal people riding at normal speeds clippies have a negligible effect which is far outweighed by the danger of using them.

What is this tying bit about, I would say that my foot can hit the ground as fast when it has to be unclipped as when not. It is the owner of the pedals not the pedals that are at fault.

What is a normal person at normal speed?

tommaguzzi

Über Member
If the rider cannot for any reason get their foot off the pedal, wether operator's error or component failure then the foot is tied to the pedal increasing the chances of falling off.
For me a normal person person riding at normal speeds is anyone not competing in races or time trials. I can see no point in commuters for example needing to use clippies.

tobykenobi

Über Member
Been clipless (on and off, mainly SPD) for about 15 years. Never fallen off due to them. A couple of close calls.

My worst clipless moment was getting IN to them. Using SPD-SLs, starting on a hill, right foot engaged, wheels turn, stamp on the wrong side of the left pedal, foot slips off, pedal gouges a lump of flesh out of my ankle as it does so. Ouch. Scar still visible 2 years later.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Inventing spurious "safety" arguments for or against something that you have a strong personal opinion on is a bit tiresome. Especially in the absence of any evidence.

I ride both flats and SPDs on different bikes. I much prefer SPDs for long distance riding. Before that I was a user of toeclips/straps. That's my choice, and I have no time for anyone who argues that they are inherently dangerous, because that's just not my experience.

Some people prefer flats. Some people prefer clip-ins. Some people prefer half-clip thingies. Vive la difference.

Top Bottom