What cement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We've had a new manhole cover put in but they obviously couldn't be bothered weeding so they've only cemented two sides. What do I need to buy to finish the job?

TIA

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It looks like there is cement, either new or old, around all 4 sides. Is the new cover the same size as its predecessor ?

the snail

Guru
If I was bedding it in I'd use 3:1 sharp sand/cement. But you could get some ready mixed mortar and point in the gaps, probably easiest/less waste?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
It looks like there is cement, either new or old, around all 4 sides. Is the new cover the same size as its predecessor ?
Give or take, but I'm not sure 100%. I just want to pull all that grass out and make it tidy.
If I was bedding it in I'd use 3:1 sharp sand/cement. But you could get some ready mixed mortar and point in the gaps, probably easiest/less waste?
Yeah I'm not going to get through huge bags of the stuff. I've used ready mixed mortar for brickwork before, would that do?

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Don’t hope. Have they dropped anything down the chamber ?
I'll have a check tonight when the kids are in bed. I remember it looking pretty sound when I checked it last year. TBF if that's the job they did on the cement then it's probably worth a little look.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yorkshire Water, is that like Yorkshire Tea, nice and strong?

I'd leave it as it is unless of course you’ve got time on your hands and want something to do :whistle:

matiz

Guru
Chisel all the mortar off old and new clean round the top of the manhole then rebed the frame making sure nothing drops down the hole and the inside of the frame is pointed nice and flush,, then point a nice even strip round the outside of the frame replace the lid and job done .
Use a 3.1 mix.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Chisel all the mortar off old and new clean round the top of the manhole then rebed the frame making sure nothing drops down the hole and the inside of the frame is pointed nice and flush,, then point a nice even strip round the outside of the frame replace the lid and job done .
Use a 3.1 mix.
What I'm going to do is pull all that grass out and slap something in to fill the gap.

Top Bottom