What Chain do I need - from a beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atsgmo

Hi, I am restoring an old bike and the chain looks like it needs replacing. But I am just not sure which would be right. A photo is attached, and it has 10 speeds. Is it possible to advise which would be the most suitable to buy? It's for my 14 year old son so doesn't need to be fancy, just reliable.

And is there a special tool for the links that I need to buy to affix it?

Thank you

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 8

Gunk

Guru
I’m just in the middle of rebuilding an almost identical bike, just search on eBay for “cycle chain”, you just need a basic chain for 5/6/7 speed bike and a link removal tool to cut it to the right length (keep the old one for reference) most chains come with a quick link which makes it really easy to fit.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I’m just in the middle of rebuilding an almost identical bike, just search on eBay for “cycle chain”, you just need a basic chain for 5/6/7 speed bike and a link removal tool to cut it to the right length (keep the old one for reference) most chains come with a quick link which makes it really easy to fit.
+1, loads of vids on youtube.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeahbut you have a 5 speed on the rear times two on the front making 10 so you need a 5/6/7 speed. Geddit?

Those old pugs make good everyday bikes.

BTW welcome to the forum :smile:

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru

Slioch

Guru
Another tip. Assuming the current chain on the bike is the correct length, count the number of links in it and cut the new chain to the same length.

That saddle looks really low. Maybe it's at the right height for your son, but it might be worth checking. There's loads of videos on Youtube to help get the right height. His knees will thank you in the long run.

Top Bottom