What chain to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stupug

Regular
What's the best chain for a road bike ss? As I've read different things about the uses of two different chain sizes.

Sharky

Guru
Sprockets are either 1/8th or 3/32 in width. If you are using 1/8th, then you must use a 1/8th chain. If 3/32 sprocket, then both will chain widths will work.

OP
OP
stupug

stupug

Regular
Thanks, still waiting for my new wheels to arrive so will measure the sprocket when I get it. Is it just the distance between the teeth?

Sharky

Guru
Thanks, still waiting for my new wheels to arrive so will measure the sprocket when I get it. Is it just the distance between the teeth?
No it's the width of the sprockets. The distance between the teeth (aka pitch) is always 1/2inch like all chains.

Cheers keith

OP
OP
stupug

stupug

Regular
The wheels I ordered comes with a sprocket with it. But I can't find out anything from the company until Monday as they're shut

OP
OP
stupug

stupug

Regular
Is it the chainring not the sprocket I need to measure? Or do I need to match them both?

Tim Hall

The chain needs to work with both the chain ring and the sprocket, as it runs over both of them. Which wheels did you order? What is the chain ring/crankset fitted to the bike? But as mentioned upthread, 1/8th chain will work with both 3/32 and 1/8th sprocket & chain ring.

Sharky

Guru
The wheels I ordered comes with a sprocket with it. But I can't find out anything from the company until Monday as they're shut
Are you sure the wheels are coming with a sprocket. This would be a bit unusual, unless you have specifically ordered one. But the wheels should come with a lock ring on the fixed side?

Anyway you'll soon find out and any bike shop will have a suitable chain.
Cheers

3narf

For whom the bell dings
My flipflop wheels came with a fixed sprocket. It's 3/32".

If you have a 3/32" sprocket/chainring with a 1/8" chain, the chain may theoretically move about more and wear things out quicker... Doubt it will make much difference though.

I use a 1/8" chainring and chain with a 3/32" sprocket.

Top Bottom