What colours are this dress?

What colours?

• White and gold

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Blue and black

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
We've done this in my art class. A lot of the famous paintings use this optical illusion. What colours your brain sees is all to do with colours and tones around you. Look at this this cube. The middle square on the top is the same colour as the middle square on the side. Don't believe me? Cover everything up except for the two squares. Everything is relevant to the colour around it... So a mid tone grey will look pale next to black but dark next to white. Rubliks Cube Illusion.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ha ha, we had this at work today with astounding conflict :ohmy:
What happened, a dozen of us were sitting for lunch, now, all the Scottish girls and guys said they saw blue and black.
Me, a Polish girl, and an English girl could clearly see gold and white. Us "foreigners" were dismayed, how could that be, something wrong with our colour perception?
But surely, the English girl is not foreign? :huh:
Maybe it's something in the Scottish water?
So we asked another foreign girl: she too said gold and white :eek:
Then the English girl took me aside, she said it was probably a practical joke on the Polish girl, why, everybody could see the dress is gold and white!
I could not believe such deviousness from some of my colleagues, they were so adamant!
Not convinced, I asked another foreign guy and a Scottish lady, who could not have been in the know of the alleged wind up.
They both said black and blue!
OMG: it's only non Scottish females in my work that see the gold and white! :scratch:

DaveyMartin

white and gold in a poorly lit shot... giving the white a blue hue and the gold a rather dull/browny appearance.

waitttt a minute! I just leant my screen back and it become black and blue... but anyway!

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
A few of us at work looked at the picture and it was an even split between blue/black and white/gold. We work for a printers so this is alarming.

What is interesting (sort of) is the split on the poll above is the same as the split on Buzzfeed (70/30 towards white/gold).

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3561949, member: 9609"]yes, that is how I see it + to me the dress does look blue and black (or is this the same dress that looks light blue and gold as per the op)[/QUOTE]
Apparently it is the same dress. Manufacturer's image and rather saturated (with back lighting) photograph. I haven't seen the jacket modelled.

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 3561932, member: 9609"]that's amazing that - I have just dropped the image into my photo editor and looked at the rgb values of the colours of the middle square, and they are all the same value (158/98/2) so it is my brain/eyes playing tricks on me.[/QUOTE]
Like this...
The colour of the bar is the same all the way along ... Trust me!

Attachments

• Is the horizontal bar the same value of gray throughout_.jpg
    Is the horizontal bar the same value of gray throughout_.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 34

DaveyMartin

the more I look I now see black and blue....

it's one of them strange brain tricks.... like looking at a sphere and tricking your brain to perceive it as an indent (if that makes sense...)

example:

maxresdefault.jpg

buggi

Bird Saviour
It might be something as simple as the colour of your phone case that changes it? Going on the rubix cube theory.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It might be something as simple as the colour of your phone case that changes it? Going on the rubix cube theory.
It was about a dozen of us looking at the dress at work, from the same picture on the one phone.
The overwhelming majority saw blue and black, but 4 saw gold and white.

Top Bottom