What colours are this dress?

What colours?

• White and gold

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Blue and black

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3561581, member: 9609"]for those who do not see it as Light Blue and Gold what are the colours in the two bottom blocks in this image ?
bluegold_zps3o0eumbb.jpg~original
[/QUOTE]
I see a grey-brown and a slate blue.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I asked my mum and dad sitting in the same room, and they haven't been on the internet today. Without hesitation my dad said white and gold, then my mum slated him and told him he was colour blind ha ha. Can't beat a good family row. I see blue and black. It's something to do with the rods and cones in your eyes and the light the photo was taken in. Apparently if you dim the brightness of your phone it changes colour although I haven't tried that so don't know if that works.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3561614, member: 9609"]Interesting, in your OP you said Black and Blue. From the swatches you are seeing grey-brown and a slate blue. They are the same colours in the dress as the swatches.

My wife is adamant the dress is White and Blue, but says the swatches are a light blue and Gold - I see them as Light Blue and Gold in both.[/QUOTE]
What exactly is a swatch? Does it take all of one shade and average it out? Because in the photo the more light saturated bits of (what I see as) blue have an almost lilac tint. And, while there is a brownish tint to (what I see as, etc.) the black, this is common with material dyes. I've black socks,for example, that over time have taken on a distinctly brown hue.

But it is interesting how different people see the colours differently.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3561614, member: 9609"]Interesting, in your OP you said Black and Blue. From the swatches you are seeing grey-brown and a slate blue. They are the same colours in the dress as the swatches.

My wife is adamant the dress is White and Blue, but says the swatches are a light blue and Gold - I see them as Light Blue and Gold in both.[/QUOTE]
What exactly is a swatch? Does it take all of one shade and average it out? Because in the photo the more light saturated bits of (what I see as) blue have an almost lilac tint. And, while there is a brownish tint to (what I see as, etc.) the black, this is common with material dyes. I've black socks,for example, that over time have taken on a distinctly brown hue.

But it is interesting how different people see the colours differently.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Light blue and beige to me....

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just switched the telly on and BBC News were on it again. They'd even tracked down the dress itself and the verdict was very clearly blue with black lace. According to my eyes and the commentator's.

JMAG

Über Member
Proof that the brain isn't as smart as it thinks it is. I still struggle to see how anyone can see the pale blue as white when you have white in the same picture in the form of the back light.
2015-02-27 19.44.02.jpg
2015-02-27 19.42.33.jpg

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Proof that the brain isn't as smart as it thinks it is. I still struggle to see how anyone can see the pale blue as white when you have white in the same picture in the form of the back light. View attachment 80915 View attachment 80917
I can only try to guess what other people are seeing. By playing around with the hues in paint.net I can get it to something vaguely gold and white. I wonder whether they are seeing something like this:
invert.png

Top Bottom