What di i do if I cant get the bloody tyre off the rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I just checked the tyres and they are both still inflated well. The only thing is a notice that the valve on the front tyre is sticking through the rim at an angle... I suspect the tube isnt in straight...I may try to re do it all tomorrow...or should I just leave it?

longers

Legendary Member
How much of an angle? Small angle leave it. As long as the screw on retaining washer thingy is tight it'll be fine.

Where did you get the tyres BTFB? I couldn't find Marathons in 700 by 28 when I looked last year. Probably not looking in the right places.

mr Mag00

rising member
i had same problem with specialized armadillos on both mtb and road, why both thats another story, the mtb one of which took over 2 hours to get on its about1 mm smaller than other wow what a difference. I used washing up liquid, as i have disc brakes not too much danger
the road ones have too high profile to fit frame now i have them one, so if anyone wants 2 700cx32? i think armadillos let me know ill send them on at retail inc posting! but if anyone knows a winter tyre suitable for a low profile road frame let me know

bonj2

It shouldn't be THAT hard.
There is a knack to it - you've got to push the tyre right back with the thumbs of one hand and operate the tyre lever with the other - in such a position as to give the most mechanical advantage. Not just shove the lever under any old how and push down on it.
I've done tyres with a very stiff bead (specialized armadillo) and my current tyres which are the complete opposite, i.e. folding tyres - and neither are that hard. So if your tyres really are interminably difficult to get off, change them for ones that are - because however puncture resistant they are you probably will get a puncture at some point, and if you've got a tyre you can't get off that's just as bad as not having spare tubes - you might as well not bother taking any if you're not going to be able to do it anyway!

jags

Guru
great stuff btfb,if the tube is a worry change it and save yourself all that hassel ,i have the soma steel core tyre leavers got them from sjs,brilliant.
just checked out that link excellent.

longers

Legendary Member
Ta BTFB, I was looking in the wrong places, I've made a note of that link for my next tyre purchases. *touches wood*

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
bonj said:
It shouldn't be THAT hard.
So if your tyres really are interminably difficult to get off, change them for ones that are - because however puncture resistant they are you probably will get a puncture at some point, and if you've got a tyre you can't get off that's just as bad as not having spare tubes - you might as well not bother taking any if you're not going to be able to do it anyway!

I never thought that I'd find myself agreeing with Bonj but having tyres that you can't get off negates any puncture proof benefits if it takes a couple of hours of wrestling to repair your first puncture. I'm rarely held up for more than 10 minutes on a fully laden tourer if I have to repair a puncture/replace a tube.

Brock

I'm sure there's a knack to getting these tyres on and off. The trouble is it's likely to be more than a year since your last puncture so you forget how to do it.

Percy

As I said in the other thread, I had the same problems. I actually wrote to Schwalbe about it, linking them to a thread I had running at the time on Cycle Plus where a number of people said they had similar problems. The response, if I recall correctly, was that they didn't get many complaints about it so it musn't be a big problem, have I tried making sure the beading is sitting right in the rim?

As I said, I ditched the Marathon Plus idea. I don't care how puncture proof they are when they're on, if it's that difficult it's not worth the hassle/risk.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Well I cant get them off now so I'm stuck with them:biggrin:

I think having had th eexperience of fitting and re fitting them I will be ok...I hav estronger levers now and using lube did help...also a blunt table knife was helpful for the very last part of the tyre just to ease it over the rim.

My main concern now is not punctures as such but tube failure,

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...but they are faster than my schwalbe 32s by a fair bit....I can feel the bike responding better. As soon as the sun shines and this wind drops I will do a test 60 miles on them to test the comfort factor...but for tody I am happy cleaning the bike in the kitchen and watching football...erm...yes you guessed it...Mrs BTFB is not here:biggrin:

Top Bottom