What di i do if I cant get the bloody tyre off the rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok..they are fine on the comfort side of things. The ride is a bit faster, more responsive and just as comfy...maybe I can feel the rough roads a little more but it's negligable.

djmc

Über Member
Sometimes it is not so much the tyres or rims in themselves but the combination which doesn't work. Really you shouldn't need to use levers at all when mounting tyres. I wouldn't myself use tyres that you have difficulty fitting; if they are difficult indoors in the warm and dry, they will be imposible in the wet cold and dark when they puncture.

P.H

Über Member
djmc said:
Really you shouldn't need to use levers at all when mounting tyres.

How many pluses have you put on?
They're not like any other tyre, they dont flex in the same way. They're the only tyre that I've needed levers for. My LBS uses lever to fit them and there's been information in the cycling press on how to fit them with levers.

djmc

Über Member
I don't fit tyres that I can't mount without levers no matter how well rated. I can do without the hassle changing the inner tube.

Gary D

This is really intersting.

I have had just the opposite problem with Schwalbe Marathons! I can almost throw them on from the opposite side of the garage :biggrin:. Certainly don't need tyre levers to get them on.

In my case, it almost appears that the tyres are too big for the rims (Alex ACE-19) as I have had 3 instantaneous blowouts - 2 this weekend - where it looks like the tyre has lifted or moved on the rim and the tube has popped out, subsequently causing a pinch puncture and leaving a 6" split in the tube :smile::angry:
When I had Conti Gatorskins fitted all summer I never had a problem.

I posted a question about this on another forum, and from the responses I had, I would agree with djmc, it appears that some rim and tyre combinations just don't work.

Gary.

P.H

Über Member
Gary D said:
I have had just the opposite problem with Schwalbe Marathons! Gary.
There's 7 different types of Marathons, are you talking about the same ones?

P.H

Über Member
djmc said:
I don't fit tyres that I can't mount without levers no matter how well rated. I can do without the hassle changing the inner tube.
You pays your money and take your choice. It took me an hour to fit mine, I's normally expect 5-10 punctures in the time they've been on, I've had none. The choice is one larger bit hassle or lots of little bits, your choice.

jashburnham

No idea what they were, but I had to cut the tyres that came with my Pearson Touche, it was the only way of getting them off, I wrecked a set of Park levers trying and nearly snapped my VAR lever as well. They were sh1te tyres anyway, I'm actually glad that when one did puncture I wasn't carrying any kit with me as it would have made sod all difference.

02GF74

Über Member
tyres and rims do vary.

I have some mtb tyres that are next to impossible to fit as well as a pair were popped off by the inner tube! ;)

generally kevlar beaded tyres are easier to get on than steel ones.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Once you've had them on a while, they ease a bit and aren't as difficult to get on and off. But steel tyre levers are a necessity with SM+ tyres; plastic ones just snap.

I've only had 1 puncture in my SM+ tyres mid-ride (two more under a mile from home but retained enough pressure to get me there, so those don't count). That was about 3 weeks ago, and it was 6.15am, icy-cold and dark. I had no bother getting the tyre off or back on - it was my cruddy mini-pump that was the problem afterwards.

Considering the amount of glass I crunch through every day, three deflations in two years is good going - and one of those was caused by a nail as long as my tyre was deep ! (The others were inch-long shards of glass).

wafflycat

Percy said:
As I said, I ditched the Marathon Plus idea. I don't care how puncture proof they are when they're on, if it's that difficult it's not worth the hassle/risk.

I've never had problems getting the normal Schwalbe Marathons on and off a rim. Perhaps it's a M+ thing? Certainly I've found the normal Marathons amply adequate for event he most potholed, flint-strewn, loose stone covered, uneven surfaced Norfolk lanes. They've seen me cycling in various parts of France, Germany, Italy & UK on all sorts of surfaces on a fully-laden tourer and no hassles. Very, very few punctures with them over the years

Top Bottom