What did I say?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grumble

Boy is this going to make me unpopular.

So big mouth Wiggins wanted every one to wear helmets. As I said before Lycra louts who think their helmets and bright clothes mean they are invunerable or have the same rights as the Tincan C#### end the same way.
And Shuan Sutton? As I said before the only helmet that offers true protection is something like a full face motorcycle helmet ( which is why you see few motorcyclists ) and then you usually have a broken neck.
Let me give you an idea to play with. A great deal of White van men are doing poorly paid, unsocial hours, dead end jobs which they have been forced into by middle class types at the Jobcentre and are being bullied by middle class bosses. And there are these middle class types cycling past annoucing the fact by their helmets and lycra clothing. SIMPLE overtake turn sharply left and you're got the bastard - 'Sorry officer I didn't see him' - saves starting a fight on a Saturday night.

What's the solution? All together now PROPER SEPERATE CYCLE LANES WITH THEIR OWN TRAFFIC LIGHTS. That's the infrastructure we should be building. No room down a particular street? Then ban the car there'll be plenty of room then

400bhp

Guru
Go back to bed and get out on the other side.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Boy is this going to make me unpopular.

So big mouth Wiggins wanted every one to wear helmets. As I said before Lycra louts who think their helmets and bright clothes mean they are invunerable or have the same rights as the Tincan C#### end the same way.
And Shuan Sutton? As I said before the only helmet that offers true protection is something like a full face motorcycle helmet ( which is why you see few motorcyclists ) and then you usually have a broken neck.
Let me give you an idea to play with. A great deal of White van men are doing poorly paid, unsocial hours, dead end jobs which they have been forced into by middle class types at the Jobcentre and are being bullied by middle class bosses. And there are these middle class types cycling past annoucing the fact by their helmets and lycra clothing. SIMPLE overtake turn sharply left and you're got the b****** - 'Sorry officer I didn't see him' - saves starting a fight on a Saturday night.

What's the solution? All together now PROPER SEPERATE CYCLE LANES WITH THEIR OWN TRAFFIC LIGHTS. That's the infrastructure we should be building. No room down a particular street? Then ban the car there'll be plenty of room then
Pure and utter tosh, all cycle lanes should be removed, instead bicycles should be painted in the road periodically to indicate its shared use. motorists will think more about cycles if they understand they share the road properly with them. seperate cycle lanes will cause no end of issues for all involved and cost us a fortune (tax payers)

I'm really not sure what you point was or what the reasoning behind it was.

You seem to be a little cross about several issues which may or may not be connected.

I must say I've never seen a Cycle Lane in the UK that gives the impression it was given much thought at the planning or implementation stage.

I have never heard of a van driver who had some sort of class or aspirational issues with cyclists and used his professed limited visibility as a cover for taking out a cyclist. It seems a little far-fetched to think that sort of thing is rife.

I'm with 400bhp on this one. A nice cup of cocoa, a little hug from someone special and a big, fluffy duvet to warm against the winter chill.

Everything will seem cheerier tomorrow.

Ha ha ha ha ha HA ! Good one.

Drago

Legendary Member
I recall Wiggins saying "cyclists should wear helmets" but I'm pretty sure he didn't add, "because it makes you invulberable". Which rather negates the entire OP.

I went to private school, have a degree, but enlisted in the Army instead of applying for an officers cadre, and have chosen to remain in my current job rather than become a solicitor.

And I also wear Aldi Lycra.

So what 'class' am I, because I'm buggered if I know?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What's with all the class war stuff?!:dry: Bradley Wiggins is far from a "big mouth" he was rushed into his opinion on helmets the day after the cyclist died after being hit by a bus during the Olympics. He probably felt obliged to say what they wanted to hear about cycle helmets.
If it's any help i've spent most of the day at Burnley General Hospital having my detached retina fixed. They said it was caused by "a severe trauma".Now the only severe trauma that i've suffered recently was the other month when i fell off my bike causing me to hit my helmet protected head on hard tarmac! i went with a mighty bang and i wondered after the accident what would've happened if i'd have been helmetless?
I asked the surgeon today what he thought, and as usual they're not forthcoming with their opinions about "someone else's department", but he said that he believed that a helmet meant a torn retina and without it i'd have been seeking treatment from the Intensive Care Unit and not the eye unit!!

Norm

To pluck something out of the OP, I think there is some validity to the idea that WVM see cyclists as 'them' rather than 'us'.

My only basis for this is because I perceive that I get more space from drivers of commercial / goods vehicles when I'm wearing my H&S-style hi viz waistcoat than when I'm wearing a cycling hi viz. The most obvious cause is, IMO, that they associate themselves with someone wearing that style whereas they have nothing in common with a cyclist.

Big boy

i never used to wear a lid and sore i never would.
I now wear one its part of the kit , it makes me hotter than without a lid but now go no where without it.
Everyone in such a hurry nowdays , just tonight i saw some knob honkin his horn like a man possesed.
Ok someone had pulled in front of him but shoot happens right...

Top Bottom