What do i need for cold commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Layers is always better than one layer too thick/too thin.

You could always wear your summer stuff underneath an autumn / winter layer.

E.g., I use running longs over my cycling shorts.

My general rule of thumb is similar to Maz's above. In single figures then layer up.

You could wait for Aldi's autumn/winter cycle stuff to come through. IIRC that is mid october. Their long sleeve jerseys / jackets are a good buy.

biking_fox

Guru
Mostly I just downgear and spin a bit faster while travelling slower to avoid the worst of the windchill. In frost conditions a 20mph wind is really bitter, but 15mph not so bad.

Long leggings, full gloves windproof (and highvis if you can find them). and my usual provision night jacket. MUDGUARDS! I only go to a 2nd layer underneath the jacket when it's really cold -5 and below.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Merino base layers are good - I have short and long sleeved ones, socks and gloves. The gloves are great for changeable days, I often wear them under a pair of fingerless mitts.

I should have said that my base layer gloves are silk liner ones, I bought them from JasmineSilkDreams on e-bay. They fit under any of the other gloves I have and can be removed and stashed in a tiny bundle. What's even better is they've proved to be very hard wearing. The icing on the cake is when it's a bit cold and I wear them under mitts, wiping your nose with silk is much kinder :biggrin:...yes I do wash them after every ride.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Thin merino wool liner gloves to wear under waterproof cycle gloves and over shoe covers. The only thing that stays cold when I'm riding are my feet and fingers. Other than that I generally wear thin layers that I can add too or take off as required with a breathable (goretex or event) waterproof jacket and tousers when it's wet and cold. I'm usually still in shorts during autumn/winter unless it get really bitter:cold:

Last January i clocked up 563 miles just doing my training thing in the evenings. (20-30 miles @15mph).
Tips of fingers and toes were my problem areas.

Everyones different i suppose.

I avoid summer riding due to the heat, but am starting to get into it again for the next 8 months.

MrSweary

I'm considering this at the moment as this winter will be my first doing the St Margarets - Liverpool Street run. I suffer in the hands and have always gone with a pair of thinnies under some thicker full length gloves which seems to do the job.

Then usually a longsleeve Helly Hansen base layer and a stretchy Rab shell with thumb holed longer sleeves on top . I've never done full leg cover before because they seem impervious to cold. May have to with the longer commute.

Also may make the switch to SPDs when I get the new bike so will have to consider that too... thinking of a touring shoe for ease of walking / waterproofing. Any suggestions?

donnydave

Über Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I'm hitting all threads that I can contribute to like buckshot :smile:

Cold dry weather (like the 4deg surprise yesterday morning) brings out the long hiking socks and £3 sports direct tracksuit bottoms.
Top half altura airstream jersey with gridlock jacket over the top. In extreme cases a thin jumper in there too. My morning strategy is to go like the clappers for the first half mile to get warmed up, then ease off once I've become a steady state system. When its wet I just simply get wet and pedal faster. For some reason I like the man vs nature battle of extreme weather cycling.

I could probably cope with shorts and t-shirt once warmed up in almost any weather but I always think of what it would be like if I had to stop in the freezing cold and sort a puncture etc, I'm also wary of doing myself an injury at the start of a ride from being cold so I play it safe when its below 5-6deg or so.

Sometimes it does get a little bit toasty under the jacket, especially with a rucksack but I'm switching to panniers soon so that should improve. I'm lucky enough to be able to shower at work and I'm incapable of cycling slowly (so as not to sweat) so its no big deal if I'm over-warm. I've got some insulated + waterproof overshoes that cost about £10 to replace the silly socks but I haven't used them in the cold yet, just for recent summer (warm-ish) showers and so far they seem pretty good.

regards,

Dave A

Madders

Regular
With regards to cold hands, muffs would be the way forwards but then you have the trade off between warmth and drag. Being a long term motorcyclist, I know that if you beat the wind, you will beat the cold. Windstopper is branded clothing and it works well, very well indeed. If you are in doubt as to the efficiency of an intended purchase hold it to your mouth and try breathing through it, the difficulty in breathing will indicate the efficiency of said purchase. It's my first cold season of cycling soon and I'm going to see how it goes but a 1-3 a.m. ten mile ride along an unlit country road will provide a stiff test of my resilience. The pukka windstopper stuff will have an octagonal badge with windstopper on it, do the check with breathing through the material and check the integrity of the product.

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

Thanks for all the advice. I knew i could rely on you.
My commute is 16-20 miles each way,and i visit customers,so no place to leave anything. It all stays in my panniers.
I see 1 or 2 customers per day and then cycle home. Have loved the weight loss,money saving and sheer delight of doing something no one else i know can do :biggrin:

Maz

Guru
I quite like Sealskinz but find they're not warm enough on a real cold day.
I agree. My fingers suffer badly on really cold days. I have sealskinz lobster gloves with thermal inner gloves which makes the worst days just about bearable. They afford just about enough dexterity for gear/brake operation.

Thomk

Guru
Thanks for all the advice. I knew i could rely on you.
My commute is 16-20 miles each way,and i visit customers,so no place to leave anything. It all stays in my panniers.
I see 1 or 2 customers per day and then cycle home. Have loved the weight loss,money saving and sheer delight of doing something no one else i know can do :biggrin:
Someone said earlier that too hot is worse than too cold (or something like that). I think that's wrong and
you should be especially careful to have enough layers on very cold days if you're out for 30 or 40 miles. Most important, as others have said, warm hands, warm and dry(!) feet and a buff or balaclava (my weapon of choice).

RedRider

Pulling through
This will be my first autumn on a bike and more importantly,my first commute. In terms of suitable gear,all i have are summer jerseys,padded shorts and mit gloves.
I'm thinking i need
A breathable hooded jacket that looks good off the bike. Saw a thread earlier,for a young son. I'm much older but that jacket does look good!
What should i be looking at in terms of base layers.should i wear stuff on my legs(under trousers).
Once off the bike,i need to be presentable in front of customers,so shirt and trousers is a must. Is there footwear out there suitable for cycling but still looks shoe(ish)?
Just a little confused,and i don't want to waste any money.

I'm 42 but I think I get away with ;) Has anyone mentioned overshoes? If you're wearing your riding shoes all day they'll help keep your feet more dry in the rain.

Top Bottom