What do i need for cold commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baldycyclist

Über Member
merino long sleever and a nice top ( feels like neoprene) - the merino is nice and non smelly - lasted a week once without a wash!!!!
skully cap - always overheats the head though
sometimes a buff if it is brasic
lidl winter gloves
winter bibs - nice to have warm nuts
neoprene overshoes

never really had to wear a rain top though last winter.....damn thats it now.

Keenbfb

I wear the same in the summer as I do in the winter the only difference is I swap from finger less mitts to full gloves. I have a rain jacket but I find if I wear it I get wetter from the sweat it keeps in so these days I don't bother using it.

The colder it get's the harder I pedal and the quicker I warm up simples..

Ozzrahog

I wear the same in the summer as I do in the winter the only difference is I swap from finger less mitts to full gloves. I have a rain jacket but I find if I wear it I get wetter from the sweat it keeps in so these days I don't bother using it.

The colder it get's the harder I pedal and the quicker I warm up simples..

Spoken like a true geordie

Leaway2

Lycrist
90% of my gear is Tenn or Aldi, its cheap and OK for me. Fingers and toes, Tenn "hi viz gloves", sometimes with a thin inner glove when its really cold. Sealskinz socks with a slightly larger shoe (Aldi, SPD).

sittingbull

Veteran
Does anyone use those handkebar muffs or knows where to buy them?
What about "pogies"?

pogies.jpg

....currently on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-...47?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item35afe66a2b

....a drop-bar variation exists for riding on the hoods too :smile: (also on eBay from the States).

I've not tried them so cannot comment on their effectiveness - but they look up to the job and you could also wear a thin pair of gloves too.

Madders

Regular
They're the boys, you could wear thin gloves with those even on the coldest rides. Thanks for the link SB.

Drago

Legendary Member
What about "pogies"?

View attachment 12427

....currently on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-...47?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item35afe66a2b

....a drop-bar variation exists for riding on the hoods too :smile: (also on eBay from the States).

I've not tried them so cannot comment on their effectiveness - but they look up to the job and you could also wear a thin pair of gloves too.
Good man! Many thanks.

D

Deleted member 20519

Merino wool base layers, long sleeve top, tights, socks, glove liners, make for a more pleasant commute on the colder days.
Winter tights, such as Altura night vision.
Altura night vision windproof jacket and gloves, it does not rain that much in the winter(usually).
Some winter boots, I have MW81's to keep my feet warm and dry.
Generally stuff to keep yourself warm but not too warm, remembering your extremities tend to feel the cold more.

I was actually looking at the Altura Night Vision, how breathable is it? I remember last winter when I'd started cycling, it was absolutely freezing but the thing that was coldest was my face and hands. Obviously I've got gloves now but I can't think what I could wear to cover my ears etc.

BLUE(UK)

I have a bodywarmer from the link below from when I did outdoor stationary work in the evenings(8pm-2am) with the occasional bit of indoor warm up and must say that once I started using the bodywarmer I was a lot more comfortable since it warmed my core which in turn kept my fingers/feet warmer with the blood flowing to it.
http://www.blazewear.com/

The great thing about the external heat source is that you can regulate it(heat settings), switch it off and not have to carry anything.
Worth considering.

BSRU

A Human Being
I was actually looking at the Altura Night Vision, how breathable is it? I remember last winter when I'd started cycling, it was absolutely freezing but the thing that was coldest was my face and hands. Obviously I've got gloves now but I can't think what I could wear to cover my ears etc.
When it gets colder I wear a windproof Altura skull cap that covers my ears, if it gets really cold I wear a windproof buff and on the very coldest days will use a thermal windproof balaclava.
The night vision windproof jacket has windproof panels on the front and thermal panels on the back, breathability is fine but a good base layer helps.

Madders

Regular
I have the Altura Night Vision Evo and have worn it on several occasions during a wet summers day. It was quite damp inside when I took it off, which is to be expected I guess. Fit and everything else is good though. For your face and ear how about a balaclava?

D

Deleted member 20519

I have the Altura Night Vision Evo and have worn it on several occasions during a wet summers day. It was quite damp inside when I took it off, which is to be expected I guess. Fit and everything else is good though. For your face and ear how about a balaclava?

Balaclava sounds good, just don't want to look like I've robbed a bank :eek:

Top Bottom