What do i need for cold commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baldycyclist

Über Member
CC buff works well!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I was actually looking at the Altura Night Vision, how breathable is it? I remember last winter when I'd started cycling, it was absolutely freezing but the thing that was coldest was my face and hands. Obviously I've got gloves now but I can't think what I could wear to cover my ears etc.

Not very, it's a solid commuting and allround jacket, I have one but probably wouldn't get another, though I'll wear this one to death. I think I've only ridden a couple of times when I've closed the ventilation zips and it was mighty cold and at night. For the really cold stuff, or very wet, I've just ordered a Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock(they have a 2nds shop on e-bay so got it at half price). This will be my outer layer and then I'll layer up underneath as required. For warmer conditions, unless staying totally dry is an essential, I'll stick to really soft softshell outers, micro fleece, merino wool, sportwool. I reckon if I was touring or in a situation where I need full dryness in warmer conditions then I'd consider sticking a rain poncho style top in the pannier. Plenty of circulation for breathability, total protection if you choose the right one but the drawback of increased wind resistance.

It is a mix that you just need to work at, I've ridden when my body has been overheating and yet my hands, feet and ears were freezing. Gradually figured what worked for hands and feet for me but the ears can still be a problem. But I probably just need to invest in a better wooly hat/skullcap....:blush: I still use my ones from my golf days so not the best material/fit for bike use.

MacB

Just to add that my experiences and solutions were worked out when I had a 40 mile round trip commute, which ties in with some of the requirements on this thread. I still use the same sort of gear for shorter rides because I have it, but I probably wouldn't have made the level of investment if I hadn't had the long commute.

Norm

I don't think it is possible to give a definite answer to this, as different people wear differently. I have Craghoppers Kiwi walking trousers which I wear all year.a cycling shirt which, when it drops below around 5 degrees, gets a wind shirt added or, when it's raining, gets a jacket. I use the same fingerless mitts all year, and a Buff all year, and a cap all year, sometimes putting another Buff beneath a helmet if it's particularly cold.

So, for me, one or two layers on the top, thin poly cotton trousers, fingerless mitts, Buff and cap sees me from about 30° down to -5°, when you're thinking about the sanity of cycling because of icy roads.

MacB

So, for me, one or two layers on the top, thin poly cotton trousers, fingerless mitts, Buff and cap sees me from about 30° down to -5°, when you're thinking about the sanity of cycling because of icy roads.

Which brings us neatly on to the need for some studded Winter tyres and as they tend to be bigger than a lot of frames can take we're talking a Winter N+1 :whistle:

Norm

Yes, I keep thinking about those. My commute this year is only 5 miles each way, and I've a bike which would be very suited for that task...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have the Altura Night Vision Evo and have worn it on several occasions during a wet summers day. It was quite damp inside when I took it off, which is to be expected I guess. Fit and everything else is good though. For your face and ear how about a balaclava?

I'm not surprised, it being a winter jacket. I only wear my Evo when the temperature falls below 5 degrees. Anything above that and it's far too warm.

TKMaxx often have very cheap waterproofs, thermals, fleeces etc

Also as the Summer ends there will be lots of sales

The best advice though is the layering above, you will wear surprisingly little!

Even in the depths, I wear a pair of thermal tights, a Coolmax vest, a thermal shirt and a wind proof

You will only find your comfort zone by trial and error

Top Bottom