What do 'proper' mountain bikers think of eMTB riders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What is the current view among mountain bikers of eMTB riders and their bikes?

I ask because a couple of years ago there was some hostility towards them.

My impression is that hostility has eased a bit as eMTBs become (slowly) more popular.

There's no doubt bike makers such as Trek, Cube, and Scott see eMTBs as a growth area.

My local bike shop, whose lead brand is Cannondale, is going to stock a couple of Cannondale eMTBs.

That's quite a leap for them, because realistically they don't have a market for £4K+ bikes of any description.

The shop manager and mechanic had a go on a Cannondale demo and were quite impressed by it, despite both being a bit sniffy about ebikes in general.

Locally, K&B Cycles in Newburn, Newcastle, now has about a dozen Haibikes in stock, and I'm told Start Cycles in the town is going into Scott in a big way.

So what do MTB riders think?

Do you see any eMTBs on the trails and have you tried one?

http://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe...541-4249-ade8-d5d5fa53a1c8&parentid=undefined

Drago

Legendary Member
Many 'proper' MTB riders are so far up their own bottoms I'm surprised they can see well enough to actually ride a bike. The rest won't care.

As for me... they don't affect me, therefore I have no opinion. No hankering for one, though as I turn into an old(er) git I might move onto one.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
As above..
the anal types will always have a negative view of change..
when im not fit enough to pedal i shall be looking...
i do think bikes that can traval at 30+ mph when pedal powered mortals are doing 12...15 mph will end in tears and claims........and banning,so it will be one to watch

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A mountain bike with electric assist.

Last year I was having a coffee at my local deer park. We had about 10 inches of snow on the ground and there was lots of MTBers sat having a drink. A group of about 10 MTBers came in. They must have all been over 60 and as everyone got chatting it turns out that these guys had ridden in from over 20 kms away and were now turning round to go home.

There was no animosity or derision. Just total respect.

If they help people to get out and about on a bike then I'm all for it.
Maybe people who were standard MTB'ers but have picked up an injury or illness see them as a lifeline to continuing their sport.
But heres the thing.
If a perfectly fit and healthy rider sees it as a way to "cheat" or generally be a lazy self-gratification artist,then no.As that negates the whole idea of biking in the first place.
I would love to see their Strava times ^_^

mustang1

Guru
Bonus question:

What do eMTB riders think of dirt-mitorbike riders?

Jimidh

Veteran
As a 'roadie' who also likes MTBing I enjoy the climbs as much as I enjoy the downhill sections.

I have pure MTB mates who hate climbing the hills and only do so so they can enjoy the downhill. For them I see the point of an eMTB as their whole reason for being out is the adrenaline rush of the descents.

I've seen one being ridden by an old bloke and there's one in the shop by me. Pricey bit of kit but they look quite cool I think. I do wonder how suitable they'd be on a built trail where they'd take a hammering and weight would add to that but for XC, general pootling, they look great. My only concern about ebike riders that I've seen is that they are often travelling too fast on shared use facilities, well, let me re-phrase that, faster than you normally see other riders going.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I had a chat with someone on an eMTB the other week at my local trail centre (it was on a long fire road climb - I'd never have caught him up, except he had to stop to fix a flat). Can't see any negatives about them at all (other than the price!) myself. They look like great fun and at the end of the day we're all just out to have a bit of fun, it's nothing to get worked up about!

Top Bottom