What do 'proper' mountain bikers think of eMTB riders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
What is the current view among mountain bikers of eMTB riders and their bikes?

I ask because a couple of years ago there was some hostility towards them.

My impression is that hostility has eased a bit as eMTBs become (slowly) more popular.

There's no doubt bike makers such as Trek, Cube, and Scott see eMTBs as a growth area.

My local bike shop, whose lead brand is Cannondale, is going to stock a couple of Cannondale eMTBs.

That's quite a leap for them, because realistically they don't have a market for £4K+ bikes of any description.

The shop manager and mechanic had a go on a Cannondale demo and were quite impressed by it, despite both being a bit sniffy about ebikes in general.

Locally, K&B Cycles in Newburn, Newcastle, now has about a dozen Haibikes in stock, and I'm told Start Cycles in the town is going into Scott in a big way.

So what do MTB riders think?

Do you see any eMTBs on the trails and have you tried one?

http://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe...541-4249-ade8-d5d5fa53a1c8&parentid=undefined
WTF is a proper mountain biker as apposed to a non proper mountain biker?

zizou

Veteran
If they continue to grow in popularity and the technology continues to develop then i worry about the impact they are going to have on access rights.

The problem won't be the ones getting used for bimbling along country lanes and canal paths and stopping for a coffee and cake, but the ones that are being ragged across trails and bridalways. They don't even need to be derestricted to become a problem - 15 mph (which is think is what the current law stands at) is bloody fast on a mountain bike for flat or uphill terrain. The derestricted ones are going to be even worse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as it's keeping folk riding is OK for me.

Quite a few MTBers use the excuse they can get more runs in as the bike gets them to the top quicker which is fair enough on bike parks.

It's not for me even with my poor fitness from my spinal injury. I'd never get fit again with a motor. I'll just struggle on.

Ciar

Veteran
Looks like Orange may be entering the market.

There's only four comments on the article so far, but two - 'nice motorbike' and something about fat boys not having to sweat - indicate the hostility faced by eMTB riders in some circles.

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/01...bikes-division-shows-enduro-e-bike-prototype/

That's nothing if you really delve into the eMTB's on singeltrack or follow them on FB, you will see they are currently pushing these bikes like no ones business and on top of that have been doing it for months, starts to drive you slightly potty after a while :smile:

it's nearly as bad as their Brexit posts every other day!

as for my opinion about eMTB's i ride to keep fit and have fun, if i get to the point where i am unable to do that i might well consider one, hopefully a long way off and i have tried one very briefly as friend rode one after a major medical issue, didnt like it at the time, but things change.

as for the purists lets be honest that covers ebikes across any style of riding or riding in general, there will also be the l337 crowd be they leg shaving lycra wearing roadies or the full face uplift gnarly mtbers ;-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What is a proper mountain biker .

Probably one that hates roadies.

Flyboy

That counts me out then , I only ride MTB ( plus a fat bike) even if I am on road . My wife often says "your not real you" now I actually know what she means .

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When see the prices of Oranges bikes. You would be able to afford a very nice motorbike for the price of that electric bike. WOW they make expensive bikes.

At the risk of mentioning Brexit, there's no doubt the price of eMTBs has risen recently.

If you want full-sus and decent quality you won't get much change from £5k.

The Cannondale in my OP is a bit less than that.

The lads in the bike shop thought it would be best part of £3k as a push bike, adding the Bosch system adds about £1,500.

That's about the going rate, most Bosch motored ebikes would be about £1,500 cheaper as push bikes.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Electric-Bikes-UK-Dealer

Top Bottom