What do 'proper' mountain bikers think of eMTB riders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

I ride on occasions with some quite old guys - we are talking late 70s and 80s and a few have e-bikes and this has helped them to be able to carry on keeping up with the mtb rides we do. And one or two have health issues and these bikes allow them to continue to come out on the regular rides with their friends rather then having to give up. So for these groups of folk they are a boon.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well me and Mrs lon have got 2 electric mtbs to try tomorrow Free of charge.....quite looking forward to it..the wife needs the help if I'm honest..health and fitness wise...

3narf

For whom the bell dings
At the risk of being the lone dissenting voice (for a change! :biggrin: ): I hate them, hate the whole concept.

But just to show I'm not biased, I hate all ebikes, not just MTBs.

I have nothing against individual riders, and wouldn't dream of getting confrontational on the issue, but they're motorbikes, not bicycles; and riding one isn't cycling.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
At the risk of being the lone dissenting voice (for a change! :biggrin: ): I hate them, hate the whole concept.

But just to show I'm not biased, I hate all ebikes, not just MTBs.

I have nothing against individual riders, and wouldn't dream of getting confrontational on the issue, but they're motorbikes, not bicycles; and riding one isn't cycling.

You are entitled to your opinion. but factually you are incorrect.

The Bosch crank drive bikes discussed in this thread have no throttle, if you don't pedal, you don't go.

They are also no balls of fire, and the torque sensor means the less effort the rider puts in, the less effort the motor puts in.

In all respects, they are nothing like a motorbike.

Quite the reverse, a rider has to pedal all the time, and change down/push harder for hills and headwinds.

Sounds like proper cycling to me.

Park the prejudice and give one a try.

You still might not like them, but you would be better informed.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Wait a minute- I have ridden them; three different ones on three occasions! A bike with a motor is a motorbike.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes @MarquisMatsugae

in fact we both loved them..They were high end FSR spesh bikes but riding up a steep hill with not much effort is quite something..
We had a good ride on them and it's all pedal with assisted when you start to struggle..
my wife has just bought a trek 29 with the bosch motor ..
The difference in her biking today was brilliant..she smiled all day and got exercise without feeling like she was going to have a coronary. ..
We will be back to nice long rides again and she will be able to cycle to work....

I'd like one but it would need to be a fat..totally awesome fun but 3.5k + for my want bike

I retired from motorbikes @Drago in 2012...i love the idea of ebike..Rutland Cycles is packed with them and selling tons of them...its the future..im sad to say But i am getting decrepid..it works and i like em
I like Rutland Cycles,not least because of the bargains over the years,but for the fact they always tend to my hard to find retro tastes ^_^

Top Bottom