What do the CX guys think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i posted this under the Ss forum and wondered what the CX competition guys thought about it. US market only but was interested in what you thought about the belt drive, Ss for entering in races and of the bike itself really
Raleigh RXS

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

oldroadman

Veteran
Hub gear? Surely not single speed, which would be useless in CX. Perhaps a hybrid/gravel type thing for US use?

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Useless as a cross bike then. More a novelty item, "because we can make one".

I don't understand this 'useless' as in a Ss is useless as a road bike on hills too , but I do hills on mine and a guy completed the Fred Whitton challenge on one. I think it's not ideal but don't think it's useless

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Surely not single speed, which would be useless in CX.

My CX bike is singlespeed and I have raced on it. OK, so I didn't win, but that's nothing to do with the bike!

I like the simplicity of singlespeed for cross racing. At least you know you'll never be in the 'wrong' gear when you hit a steep bank...

Tbh, I find the lack of gears more of a compromise on the flat sections, where it limits your top speed somewhat.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
My CX bike is singlespeed and I have raced on it. OK, so I didn't win, but that's nothing to do with the bike!

I like the simplicity of singlespeed for cross racing. At least you know you'll never be in the 'wrong' gear when you hit a steep bank...

Tbh, I find the lack of gears more of a compromise on the flat sections, where it limits your top speed somewhat.

Is your Ss CX something you built up yourself ?

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Genesis used to market the Day One as a singlespeed CX'er for years. It's not unheard of.

And one if this years day one models, the decade, has gone back to its CX routes with off road specific gearing (lower gear inches I think a 36 chainring instead of a 46) and knobblies etc.

Top Bottom