What do the sleep experts say about the cause of early morning waking? This refers to waking up while still very tired.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I go to bed at about 11pm and get up at 4am and ride 20km to work most days. I leave at 4.30am and start work at 6am. I finish at 11am, ride home and spend the day with Jannie. In the late afternoon, I sometimes have a half hour "brain" sleep. I am then good until I go to bed.

I have been doing this for 20 years. The fact that I am 65 years of age and can cycle 40km almost every day and rarely have any type of illness. Makes me wonder if I am unusual or that the sleep experts do not always get it right.

Summer mornings at 4.30am are glorious where I live and is like food for the soul. Winter, when its cold, dark and blowing is a battle. But it strengthens the resolve inside you

I am with you 100% in respect of the benefits of regular exercise. but It is not only exercise. A myriad things contribute to good health. A person's state of mind is paramount to good health & being able to sleep.

I assume Jannie is your partner, but if ever Jannie was to leave you one day, you would soon start to notice the sleepless nights followed by the ailments. When the sleepless nights start, you would see cracks in the regular cycing and going to work at age 65. We have what we have by the grace of God. Treasure that and think of those less fortunate.

simongt

Guru
They mention lots of things that they say can prevent us from dropping off to sleep at night, but I cannot say I have come by any info on the reasons for the silly O'clock waking in the morning.
Sometimes, my bladder wakes me depending on how big a mug of bedtime tea I've drunk. Sometimes it's one or more of our cats; and no, we will NEVER shut them out of our room, it's the minor price for their very rewarding company. ^_^ Sometimes I just wake up. If it's around 03.00h. - 04.30h., I'll go and make a cuppa and take it back to bed and read for a wee while. Invariably doze off after that. :okay:

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
In most people, body temperature rises at about 0230 and that's what wakes you up. It's probably a Stone Age mechanism to give you a chance to restoke the fire and check for sabre-toothed tigers.

In t'olden days, people would sleep in two separate stretches to accommodate the waking period at night. Industrialised jobs and alarm clocks ruined all that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am with you 100% in respect of the benefits of regular exercise. but It is not only exercise. A myriad things contribute to good health. A person's state of mind is paramount to good health & being able to sleep.

I assume Jannie is your partner, but if ever Jannie was to leave you one day, you would soon start to notice the sleepless nights followed by the ailments. When the sleepless nights start, you would see cracks in the regular cycing and going to work at age 65. We have what we have by the grace of God. Treasure that and think of those less fortunate.

I have been divorced twice and know the trials and tribulations of separation. I am also in a good place financially. My biggest and probably only stress in life, is deciding where to go on holiday. There are lots of aspects that goes into a good nights sleep. Its not just about the hours.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I used to wake up for an hour between 3:00 and 4:00 every morning. I got rid of my TV at the end of August and I now sleep through until 7:00. It could just be coincidence.

I used to routinely sleep through for a straight 7-8 hours, occasionally waking in the 'wee' small hours for that purpose.
I moved house a week or so ago and am now waking at 4 - 4.30 am every night for no discernable reason; I either turn over and go back to sleep or get up for a wee.
I expect it's just the caveman response - maybe a subtle change in the light levels outside (I don't have good curtains up yet), or someone's cat walking past my window reminding me of an ancestral cave lion - and will wear off once I'm accustomed to living in my new place.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I go to bed at about 11pm and get up at 4am and ride 20km to work most days. I leave at 4.30am and start work at 6am. I finish at 11am, ride home and spend the day with Jannie. In the late afternoon, I sometimes have a half hour "brain" sleep. I am then good until I go to bed.

I have been doing this for 20 years. The fact that I am 65 years of age and can cycle 40km almost every day and rarely have any type of illness. Makes me wonder if I am unusual or that the sleep experts do not always get it right.

Summer mornings at 4.30am are glorious where I live and is like food for the soul. Winter, when its cold, dark and blowing is a battle. But it strengthens the resolve inside you

i get up at 3.45 am , ride to work only 10 miles start 5.15 am and finish at around 3 pm , ride home . In bed for 8.30 pm .thats earlies lates i start off around 1.30 pm start 2.15 pm and ride home around 12.30 am

Top Bottom