What do the sleep experts say about the cause of early morning waking? This refers to waking up while still very tired.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

During the night I'd say I get up anything from 5-10x and the cats are just at me all night. Both are Toms that are knocking on now in years. I get meowed at, howled at, prodded, jumped on etc. One sleeps on my bed and the other is in and out etc, scratching the carpet etc. If you shut the bedroom door they will just keep jumping up at the handle and banging it all night.
I used to take a glass of water to bed but they used to drink it straight away, so I use a cycling bottle now.

What happened to the phrase "putting the cat out at night" ?

I knew a bloke who used to make a lot of proud noises about how little sleep he got each night, and how he was nearly always up and about for the dawn chorus.

It was all quite possibly true, but I know from going to meetings with him, he'd be asleep within minutes of getting in the car. Sleep through the meetings, waking up for dinner, sleep through the afternoon, and then sleep all the way back home.

No wonder he was up early, it was about the only time he was awake and not eating. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
But you'd do that to yourself? Need to take a hard look at your priorities.

Exactly, he needs another cat. 🐈‍⬛

GuyBoden

Guru
Any light getting into the bedroom isn't good for sleeping, a mask might help.

Espa%20silk%20eye%20mask-1.png

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you drink alcohol the night before? The 4am wakes can be related to alcohol metabolism.
Me and Wimpers drink too much of an evening and are victims of this. When we don't drink we sleep for longer and wake better.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I go to bed at about 11pm and get up at 4am and ride 20km to work most days. I leave at 4.30am and start work at 6am. I finish at 11am, ride home and spend the day with Jannie. In the late afternoon, I sometimes have a half hour "brain" sleep. I am then good until I go to bed.

I have been doing this for 20 years. The fact that I am 65 years of age and can cycle 40km almost every day and rarely have any type of illness. Makes me wonder if I am unusual or that the sleep experts do not always get it right.

Summer mornings at 4.30am are glorious where I live and is like food for the soul. Winter, when its cold, dark and blowing is a battle. But it strengthens the resolve inside you

Top Bottom