What do you always have in your fridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Greedo said:
They loose all their flavour in the fridge. They are tasteless as it is these days unless you spend a bit more without killing the taste more

This is good advice I was given a few years ago and it works, apparently not for puree though.

montage

God Almighty
Do people keep eggs in the fridge? We never have. I remember whilst at school I was once given a detention when my home economics teacher got fed up of me trying to persuade her not to keep putting her eggs in the fridge. I never spent a lot of time in those lessons...

Arch

Married to Night Train
montage said:
Do people keep eggs in the fridge? We never have. I remember whilst at school I was once given a detention when my home economics teacher got fed up of me trying to persuade her not to keep putting her eggs in the fridge. I never spent a lot of time in those lessons...

You are right. No need to keep them in the fridge. Big clue is, where do supermarkets keep them? Not in bloody fridges!

People think they should, because there are built in egg racks.

montage

God Almighty
Arch said:
You are right. No need to keep them in the fridge. Big clue is, where do supermarkets keep them? Not in bloody fridges!

those are so clearly for cream eggs

brokenbetty

Über Member
milk
eggs (more space in the fridge than the cupboards)
ginger
chillies
tofu
peppers
mushrooms
cheese
yoghurt
coffee
lemon or lime
tomatoes
unsalted butter
dry sherry

at any point in time I will have all these in my fridge, but at any point in time at least one item will no longer be edible and/or appetising

Noodley

Do people who always have to have these things in the fridge, especially the one's with long lists, actually buy replacements for them before they use up the item? e.g. there are 2 rashers of bacon left, do you rush out and buy another packet/pig before you cook these two rashers? Or there is one glass size amount of wine in the bottle, do you leave it until you have bought another bottle?

Nutters.

fridge... normally fruit juice and cheese.

freezer - dead mice

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Arch said:

....Egg snobs?? that's a new one .....does it actually matter??
I'm slightly allergic to eggs, so I don't really care a great deal about them anyway, although I had a fresh egg the other day and quite frankly it just tasted of egg to me. Nothing special.

At least in the fridge they wont go off so quickly, especially in this hot weather.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Noodley said:
Do people who always have to have these things in the fridge, especially the one's with long lists, actually buy replacements for them before they use up the item? e.g. there are 2 rashers of bacon left, do you rush out and buy another packet/pig before you cook these two rashers? Or there is one glass size amount of wine in the bottle, do you leave it until you have bought another bottle?

Nutters.

:laugh: I get a Tescos order in when we run out of biscuits and restock anything else that's running low. As we run out of biscuits first, pretty much everything else gets restocked before it runs out.

Also there are 4 24 hours shops within 5 minutes walk of my house so if I ever do run out of anything it's not for long.

montage

God Almighty
Mad Doug Biker said:
....Egg snobs?? that's a new one .....does it actually matter??
I'm slightly allergic to eggs, so I don't really care a great deal about them anyway, although I had a fresh egg the other day and quite frankly it just tasted of egg to me. Nothing special.

At least in the fridge they wont go off so quickly, especially in this hot weather.

On the contrary (spelt ok Arch?) I believe they dry out and go off quicker in the fridge. This is my own speculation though

Speicher

Vice Admiral
brokenbetty said:
:laugh: I get a Tescos order in when we run out of biscuits and restock anything else that's running low. As we run out of biscuits first, pretty much everything else gets restocked before it runs out.

Also there are 4 24 hours shops within 5 minutes walk of my house so if I ever do run out of anything it's not for long.

To get to my nearest 24 hour shop would entail a two hour walk for me.
Lots of shops are closed on Mondays and/or Thursdays. Most close at 5pm. Admtttedly Tesco's (one of their smallest ones) stays open until 11pm.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Never thought of that but then, as I say, I'm not exactly a huge egg fan anyway, so I don't really know any better.

...Dry out?? if you boil hard it'll be dry anyway ....oh well, never mind.

I like my yolks runny incidentally but I've never said

'Oh that's a dry egg'

in me life!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I keep lots of the stuff mentioned above:
eggs (stops them getting broken for a start - I'd have to find a different place otherwise)
milk
cheese various
marg
butter
breadcrumbs
wine
juice
pesto
peppers
garlic
ginger
tomato puree