What do you clean your Hands with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My chemistry teacher at school, only a PhD's worth older than us recounted that in uni they'd regularly cleaned chemicals off their hands by washing in benzine. Only a few years later we 6 formers we're banned from using benzine at all

Those were the days when we were tough and chemicals were scared. I remember playing with a bottle of mercury. IIRC, the strongest toilet in the world can't flush it. Or was it now, that the strongest toilet in the world could flush Sodium. Can't remember anymore.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use gloves so I don’t need to use any products. Thwack. Ooh matron :ohmy:

Gloves..... :wacko:......I can't use the things, so don't go letting a surgeon loose :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::hyper:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Those were the days when we were tough and chemicals were scared. I remember playing with a bottle of mercury. IIRC, the strongest toilet in the world can't flush it. Or was it now, that the strongest toilet in the world could flush Sodium. Can't remember anymore.

Copper slip.... used it for years, got it from my dad who was a engineer - works, cranks don't stick....

Profpointy

Legendary Member

When I was 7 or 8 the dentist gave me a little phial of mercury as a gift because I'd been a brave boy ! I used to play with the mercury in my hands then carefully pour it back into its phial. It all disapeared eventually - mmm .

People today are just too scared to give small children toxic heavy metals and carcinogens to play with - 'elf n safety gorn maad theses days

When I was 7 or 8 the dentist gave me a little phial of mercury as a gift because I'd been a brave boy ! I used to play with the mercury in my hands then carefully pour it back into its phial. It all disapeared eventually - mmm .

People today are just too scared to give small children toxic heavy metals and carcinogens to play with - 'elf n safety gorn maad theses days
Yes I have childhood memories of being with a mate playing with some mercury.

Different times for sure.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Many years ago I recall that we used Paste Hand Cleansing that felt as if it contained sugar or salt. No idea what the other constituent was. We cleaned the machines with carbon tetrachloride, ans probably our hands too. But that's nasty stuff. Then I discovered barrier cream which is pretty good and washes off very easily. If I forget to use barrier cream first I use washing up liquid followed by soap.

I can't use Swarfega as it brings me out in a rash so I use Coma lemon hand cleaner instead. Back in the old days mechanics would mix sawdust with the Swarfega / hand cleaner as it absorbed the dirty oil from your hands leaving them clean.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I can't use Swarfega as it brings me out in a rash so I use Coma lemon hand cleaner instead. Back in the old days mechanics would mix sawdust with the Swarfega / hand cleaner as it absorbed the dirty oil from your hands leaving them clean.

The orange swarfga already has bits in it for the same purpose. I got a bit worried I might have inadvertantly bought some thing with plastic granuals in it but fair play, it was sawdust or wheat husks or similar harmless thi g

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes I have childhood memories of being with a mate playing with some mercury.

Different times for sure.

You weren't brought up in a village in Carmarthenshire in the 60s were you?

That would be a coincidence ... but it was likely common practice for dentists to give little phials of mercury to small children back then

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Let alone alloying it with silver to make your tooth fillings.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A friend's dad used to offer welshcakes to visitors, which he'd made earlier that day. After a short pause he'd add "nice clean hands now" We all laughed, but his son would grimace. The son then said, you can laugh now, but it wasn't funny when he still worked in engineering

Top Bottom