What do you clean your Hands with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Another Swarfega user here. Pump dispenser from Aldi is the cheapest I have found locally.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I find that making bread gets my hands nice and clean.
Ah yes. Wheat germ loaf.
whear germ loaf.jpg

freiston

Veteran
I have eczema on my hands which is aggravated by soap and detergent and so cannot use almost everything mentioned in this thread. When I worked in a factory, my doctor told me not to use barrier cream because I wouldn't be able to use anything strong enough to wash it off (I get cracking and bleeding palms when I use strong/"ordinary" detergents or soaps). I have to use a moisturiser (QV cream) several times daily and I find that this acts almost like a barrier cream and makes hand-washing easier (QV cream seems pretty good at shifting oily muck off the skin too). I resort to QV cream and Carex hand-wash - occasionally helped with a nailbrush.

Drago

Legendary Member
When Swarfega is banned, or when you're too lazy to go to the shops, a dash of washing up liquid and a teaspoon of sugar make an excellent substitute.

Or just glove up like what I does.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When Swarfega is banned, or when you're too lazy to go to the shops, a dash of washing up liquid and a teaspoon of sugar make an excellent substitute.

Or just glove up like what I does.
There are things you can't do wearing gloves. Try using a power screwdriver when gluing something up. The glove fingers get stuck to the chuck and get punctured instantly. I'll stay with the microbeads for now.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Gloves? Pah!
I shove my hands down the throat of a man eating tiger that hasn't been fed for 5 days and into its stomach where the acids burn away the grease. Then I put them into a furnace to dry off.

Other days its washing up liquid and a scrubbing brush.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There are things you can't do wearing gloves. Try using a power screwdriver when gluing something up. The glove fingers get stuck to the chuck and get punctured instantly. I'll stay with the microbeads for now.

Microbeads end up in places they didn't ought to be.

Bio D washing up liquid, and a nail brush does it for me.

Adding granulated sugar, or coffee grounds if you really feel the need for a scrub.

Petrochemicals such as swarfega, or fairy liquid are absorbed through the skin, and get into water courses - not so great.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
[QUOTE 5553514, member: 9609"]sometimes when I have been on farm work and I have stopped for my piece (dinner) when finnished I notice the fingers I have been eating with are nice and clean

joking aside, there have been times in the past when my hands are so bad with oils, greases and paints that I have given them a quick rinse with petrol or white spirit, it's a good cleaner. But I now learn apart from the obvious fire risk it is far from a wise idea, so don't now[/QUOTE]

I always reckon we probably evolved gut flora to cope with most of that 'natural durt'.
But then killed off that capacity to cope with dettol, and "Kills 99% of all known germs.. (Leaving the other 1% plus the unknowns to flourish unhindered?)

I do wash my hands, before lunch.. Sometimes.

But ya know, sometimes yr in a rush, and yr hungry..

Cast iron biome here I think, after a lifetime of living and working in utter filth :smile:

But its 'organic' filth, so therefore very healthy ^_^

Top Bottom