What do you collect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Guitar cables

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Books, and cameras, particularly compact fixed lens rangefinders like Canonets, and Nikon 35mm manual focus SLRs, although I like anything interesting.

Last time I photographed it it looked like this;

since then I sold my Olympus kit to focus (arf!) on Nikon, and gave away some of the others (the Halina A1 went to a mate who wanted to try a Twin Lens Reflex).

My missus would argue that I collect cycling jerseys too, although I argue that that's out of need... :eek:

gbb

Legendary Member
Pear Cyclopaedia for me :biggrin:

Well...i used to :eek:

I used to love the Sunday Mail crossword...very general knowedge, lots of Greek mythology etc etc. Pears have covered many different subjects over the years...a brilliant reference.

My earliest was about 1957. I had about a dozen of them, all old (ish)...most i got from carboot sales

Plax

Guru
When I was of school age I used to collect coins (old British coins and foreign coins. Oldest coin I have is mid 1800s I think), and stamps (I have stamps with Hitler on!). Still have them somewhere.

I suppose I collect hobbies now. My last phase was computers - I just *had* to build my own. So now I have a really fast computer that is a much higher spec than I really need for what I do, but hey ho at least I can fix hardware & software problems and upgrade things quite happily now.
I can see cycling is going the same way. I'm getting to the stage where I've started to do my own basic maintenance. Before long I can see myself building my own bike.
It's a shame my enthusiasm for decorating didn't last long. I have lots of half done projects. My dad had to artex the ceilings as I'm rubbish at plastering and stuff, but I've done wallpapering, basic woodwork, putting up curtain poles etc. Not bad for a girl! I just need to finish sanding down and repainting the woodwork now. I lost heart halfway through..........

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
gbb said:
Pear Cyclopaedia for me :biggrin:

Well...i used to ;)

I used to love the Sunday Mail crossword...very general knowedge, lots of Greek mythology etc etc. Pears have covered many different subjects over the years...a brilliant reference.

My earliest was about 1957. I had about a dozen of them, all old (ish)...most i got from carboot sales

I only have one Pears. It is good though!

Guitars, mostly. Although it's not really a collection as such, I just seem to need a lot of guitars. Highlights of the collection include my 1934 Martin archtop (sadly now sold) and my 1979 Fender Strat, but I also love my Moondog acoustic and my Seymour Duncan equipped Squier Tele.
I realise that this post will be gibberish to most of you.;)
I also seem to be starting a collection of camera kit, although again it's based on what I use rather than being a collection as such.

Renard

Has anyone mentioned STD's yet?

simoncc

I collect nothing. I even get rid of books to the Oxfam shop soon after I've read them. Bookshelves full of books I'll never read again have no appeal. As most of my male relatives collect all sorts of things including motor bikes, stamps, tin boats, train sets, coins, postcards, tickets, theatre progammes, cinema posters, memoribilia of various types, clocks, toy cars and 'classic' adidas training shoes I'm regarded as a freak for not collecting.

The fact that I've only bought one thing on eBay, and that was a XT cassette for my mountain bike and not an absolute bargain collectable strangely unnoticed by anyone else, is a frequent topic of amazed conversation to other members of my family.

simonali

Guru
I can't do collecting as I'm a ridiculous hoarder as it is and wouldn't have the room for a collection of anything! I do have lots of CDs, but I don't think CDs constitute collectibles unless there's something unusual about them.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
simoncc said:
I collect nothing. I even get rid of books to the Oxfam shop soon after I've read them. Bookshelves full of books I'll never read again have no appeal. As most of my male relatives collect all sorts of things including motor bikes, stamps, tin boats, train sets, coins, postcards, tickets, theatre progammes, cinema posters, memoribilia of various types, clocks, toy cars and 'classic' adidas training shoes

that's a fine collection of collecting relatives. ;)

Top Bottom