What do you eat with a curry eg rice/chips.....any others ideas ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Peshwary Naan or however it's spelt.
Oh and M/Chutney.

presta

Guru
No, they wont rise and be nice and fluffy, they will be flat and hard. So either use self raising flour, or add half a teaspoon of baking powder to your plain flour.
:okay:

what I really wanted to type was WTF would I specify SR flour if it didnt actually matter. you muppet

Is sodium bicarb near enough? I've got a bag of that I bought for descaling.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Is sodium bicarb near enough? I've got a bag of that I bought for descaling.

Yes, but you will need to add something acidic to release the CO2. The yoghurt may work but a teaspoon of vinegar will do the trick.

PS When I make bread I use lemonade as the liquid. It gives it a slight citrus taste.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, but you will need to add something acidic to release the CO2. The yoghurt may work but a teaspoon of vinegar will do the trick.

PS When I make bread I use lemonade as the liquid. It gives it a slight citrus taste.

and you need about 1/3 of the amount. BPowder = Bicarb + cream of tartar + cornflour in roughly equal amounts- ish

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Wholegrain rice cooked in bouillon with a teaspoon of turmeric added. Rich mixture of flavours that goes with most curries.

Indian curry: rice and / or homemade naan. Rice is usually basmati, but sometimes I'll ring the changes with a pilau. Occasionally onion bhajis or poppadoms (we call them Poppydoms here, as my much loved and missed tortie *adored* the damn things). Also saag aloo, which is a great way of using up leftover potatoes. Oh, and not to mention a raita made with plain yoghurt, mint, salt, pepper and an unholy amount of garlic... Leftover curry is good dumped on top of a jacket potato or shoved into pastry to make an impromptu pie - not exactly kosher, but who cares.

Chinese / Japanese curry: plain rice mostly, but is also good with a proper egg fried rice. Maybe the odd prawn cracker to dunk. Noodles (rice / wheat / bean starch) are also good. Plus steamed greens, beans, broccoli etc.

Thai / Malaysian curry: plain rice or rice / bean starch noodles. Plenty of steamed or stir fried veg with sesame & soy.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Chinese curry with half chips and half rice

Do you live in Newport ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Indian curry, always pilau or plain rice and poppadoms. Chinese curry, just plain rice. I would eat chips if nothing else available but I would never choose them first. Likewise with jacket spud. I do like a jacket spud with coronation chicken though

oldwheels

Legendary Member
home made flat breads, (per person/ bread) 40g each of Self Raising flour and natural Yoghurt (or Creme Fraiche), pinch of salt and a tsp of oil.
mix together and roll into a ball on a floured surface.

Roll it out flat, and then cook for 2-3 mins per side in a hot dry non stick frying pan

you can add in herbs garlic niggela seeds etc f you want, just keep equal quantities of SR flour and Yoghurt.

I tried to make some just after lunch today since I had some creme fraiche in the fridge.Some rotten so and so has eaten them all before I have the curry for my evening meal.
Cannot think who as I live on my own.

Jody

Stubborn git
Chinese curry - proper salt and pepper chips and a garlic nann

Indian - thin chips and some poppadoms

Top Bottom