What do you get out of your daily commute

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ren531, 10 Jan 2018.

1. ren531

ren531 Regular

What is it that you get from your daily commute , my daily journey to work is a 6.5 miles of mixed country roads main roads and cycle path around Lancaster ,but it is more than that it is freedom from all the chains that seem to bind all other forms of transport ,the simplicity of the cycle is its key to this freedom ,going to and from work seeing the seasons in all their extremes is a very real experience ,any other way of getting to work feels like missing out on something vital in life , I wish I could put this joy across to my car driving colleges' but its is something that is difficult to put into words .

2. Drago

Drago Guru

I used to get...

To and from work cheaply

Easy parking.

And half an hour on my own without having to listen to any ****wittery from anyone.

3. RichK

RichK Veteran

An hour to myself.

4. Time Waster

Time Waster Well-Known Member

It could be we ride some of the same paths ren.

Right now all I'm getting is more tired. Half an hour only but I'm taking up to 8 minutes longer than summer and 12mph instead of 16mph average speed. I used to enjoy it more let's put it that way.

It's as quick as train and car to get to work. Quicker than buses. Plus it's cheaper than any other way in to work.

5. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

On the way to work I get about two minutes of fast freewheeling. On the way home I get about eight minutes of hardcore climbing.

iancity, keithmac and Andy in Germany like this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

An oxygenated bloodstream.
    Time to think.
    Mental stimulation thanks to London's anarchic traffic.

Is there a way to get to work that is more fun, quicker, or cheaper?

7. Pretty much all of the above...

My commute has a gentle climb most of the way in, to the tram stop on the edge of Stuttgart, so the first thing I get is warm...

I can ride through forests and fields while the drivers going into Stuttgart are carving each other up and swearing at traffic jams.

I avoid trouble with connections, especially on the return journey: I walk five minutes to the tram, climb out of the valley for another six, and at the rim of the valley my bike is waiting. Five more minutes and I'm in deep forest and the stress of the day is left behind.

8. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

I get just under 10 minutes 4 times a day of low cost exercise and time to say hello and wave to the regular shared path users

9. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

From yesterday, a very sore hip and messed up elbow.

alicat likes this.
  10. I have a 13 mile commute each way and start work at 6am. I do it most days, even in winter.

I have been doing it for so long that the physical side of the ride is simple. The mental side of it can still be a challenge when the wind is howling and the rain is belting off the windows at 4am. It is never as bad as it sounds when you get out in it. If I see 2 vehicles in the entire journey, well thats a rush hour. Most of is in the wilds of Denmark. Winter can be a bit uncomfortable. Bright summer mornings lift your soul.

All in all my commute keeps me sane I think.

Fortunately the danes love cycling and so I get to work and have a shower and get changed. I leave all my gear in the drying room and go and have breakfast.

11. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Oh dear did you have an off?

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

5.5 miles each way down an NSL lane/road.

Time to think.

Tense shoulders every time I hear a car approaching at speed from behind.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  13. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Came off on a wet corner. Won't be walking or cycling for a few days I should think. :smile:

14. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Get checked over if gets worse or no better in a week

RealLeeHimself likes this.
  15. Ouch. Hope the recovery is quick...

RealLeeHimself and Welsh wheels like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice