What do you get out of your daily commute

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by ren531, 10 Jan 2018.

1. subaqua

subaqua Guru

This . It’s my me time

Andy in Germany likes this.
  2. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Cold, wet, annoyed by beeping Audi daffodils.

Ciar and Andy in Germany like this.
  3. palinurus

palinurus Guru

On the plus side at least I don't need to find a parking space in my street.

4. palinurus

palinurus Guru

I get to hear the birds tweeting when the traffic shuts up for a bit.

5. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Staff Member

I get to see and hear things I wouldn't if I was in the van. 9 miles from home to airport at 0530hrs I get quiet roads, and more often than not a tailwind. I arrive ready to go with some energy, quite the opposite if I drive in. The same journey on a night shift is fun with traffic, largely very slow moving for the first 3 miles which make the ride more interesting.
    The route home seems to be forever into a headwind (which is regularly cursed), but I arrive home safe in the knowledge that I can eat cake, ice cream etc etc and not worry about calories.
    All of that and it saves me a good few quid on diesel too.

6. OP
    OP
    ren531

ren531 Regular

Don't give up Mr time waster, this part of winter is certainly the toughest but spring is just around the next corner ,your average speed is more difficult to maintain in the dark and energy levels lower ,but it will pick up as the weather improves .

7. kevin_cambs_uk

kevin_cambs_uk Veteran

Health benefits
    someshere to park
    Save loads of cash
    Never late for work
    Only have to rely on myself

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
  8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

A big grin and a mental recharge.

My daily exercise is built into my day. No expensive gyms or needing to go back out of a gym or some such.

I get home and nowt of the work day follows me home. The commute is the buffer.

9. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

On the way to work - stress relief from home life

On the way home - stress relief from work life.

10. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Saves money on train fares or fuel and parking costs, which does my pocket good.
    The exercise does my body good.
    I see wildlife I wouldn't see otherwise and that makes me feel good.
    I'm fitter than my work colleagues and that does my ego good.
    The 65 - 80 mins each way gives me time to put the world to rights, (at least in my head) and that does my head good.

11. Bodhbh

Bodhbh Veteran

Well I probably *loose* about 1000kcal a day...

Otherwise - an excuse to spend money on bike stuff (I need to to get to work you know). I get to read 90mins a day via audiobook.

kevin_cambs_uk and Arjimlad like this.
  12. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

• A great feeling passing over the motorway bridge and thinking 'I'd be stuck in that jam'
    • Arriving at work refreshed
    • Getting showered at work, saves heating as much water in morning and our power shower motor has lasted longer than the last one
    • Locking bike in work alleyway. Our work carpark is over subscribed which means there are more passes than spaces so often staff can wait hours on a space (yes it does happen!)
    • There's a certain point on my commute home, where I've finished my climbing of 750ft, the traffic has disappeared, no street lights and I roll into the countryside generally with arms outstretched and savouring that moment of 'this is why I do this'

13. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

In the car I get to enjoy the radio, a bit of entertainment and catch up on what’s going on in the world. I get the occasional nice view.

On the train I get some good views, want to use the time for reading but end up on the phone and cyclechat :sad:

14. OP
    OP
    ren531

ren531 Regular

Sixmile , I think you summed it up precisely.

RealLeeHimself, Sixmile and biggs682 like this.
  15. Diz

Diz Active Member

13 Miles each way into London - Intervals with the lights on a clear day, why is it every light is green when I am knackered!
    Other days when it is raining, it is a case of avoiding having an off, rain brings out the worst in drivers imo.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice