What do you get out of your daily commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On the plus side at least I don't need to find a parking space in my street.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I get to see and hear things I wouldn't if I was in the van. 9 miles from home to airport at 0530hrs I get quiet roads, and more often than not a tailwind. I arrive ready to go with some energy, quite the opposite if I drive in. The same journey on a night shift is fun with traffic, largely very slow moving for the first 3 miles which make the ride more interesting.
The route home seems to be forever into a headwind (which is regularly cursed), but I arrive home safe in the knowledge that I can eat cake, ice cream etc etc and not worry about calories.
All of that and it saves me a good few quid on diesel too.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
It could be we ride some of the same paths ren.

Right now all I'm getting is more tired. Half an hour only but I'm taking up to 8 minutes longer than summer and 12mph instead of 16mph average speed. I used to enjoy it more let's put it that way.

It's as quick as train and car to get to work. Quicker than buses. Plus it's cheaper than any other way in to work.
Don't give up Mr time waster, this part of winter is certainly the toughest but spring is just around the next corner ,your average speed is more difficult to maintain in the dark and energy levels lower ,but it will pick up as the weather improves .

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Saves money on train fares or fuel and parking costs, which does my pocket good.
The exercise does my body good.
I see wildlife I wouldn't see otherwise and that makes me feel good.
I'm fitter than my work colleagues and that does my ego good.
The 65 - 80 mins each way gives me time to put the world to rights, (at least in my head) and that does my head good.

Sixmile

Veteran
  • A great feeling passing over the motorway bridge and thinking 'I'd be stuck in that jam'
  • Arriving at work refreshed
  • Getting showered at work, saves heating as much water in morning and our power shower motor has lasted longer than the last one
  • Locking bike in work alleyway. Our work carpark is over subscribed which means there are more passes than spaces so often staff can wait hours on a space (yes it does happen!)
  • There's a certain point on my commute home, where I've finished my climbing of 750ft, the traffic has disappeared, no street lights and I roll into the countryside generally with arms outstretched and savouring that moment of 'this is why I do this'

Tin Pot

Guru
What is it that you get from your daily commute , my daily journey to work is a 6.5 miles of mixed country roads main roads and cycle path around Lancaster ,but it is more than that it is freedom from all the chains that seem to bind all other forms of transport ,the simplicity of the cycle is its key to this freedom ,going to and from work seeing the seasons in all their extremes is a very real experience ,any other way of getting to work feels like missing out on something vital in life , I wish I could put this joy across to my car driving colleges' but its is something that is difficult to put into words .

In the car I get to enjoy the radio, a bit of entertainment and catch up on what’s going on in the world. I get the occasional nice view.

On the train I get some good views, want to use the time for reading but end up on the phone and cyclechat :sad:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I get just under 10 minutes 4 times a day of low cost exercise and time to say hello and wave to the regular shared path users
  • A great feeling passing over the motorway bridge and thinking 'I'd be stuck in that jam'
  • Arriving at work refreshed
  • Getting showered at work, saves heating as much water in morning and our power shower motor has lasted longer than the last one
  • Locking bike in work alleyway. Our work carpark is over subscribed which means there are more passes than spaces so often staff can wait hours on a space (yes it does happen!)
  • There's a certain point on my commute home, where I've finished my climbing of 750ft, the traffic has disappeared, no street lights and I roll into the countryside generally with arms outstretched and savouring that moment of 'this is why I do this'
Sixmile , I think you summed it up precisely.

Diz

13 Miles each way into London - Intervals with the lights on a clear day, why is it every light is green when I am knackered!
Other days when it is raining, it is a case of avoiding having an off, rain brings out the worst in drivers imo.

Top Bottom