What do you have in common with Prince William?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
... I like tea?

swansonj

Guru
Despite the sarky comments from some, yes there is a difference.

The Duchy of Cornwall is effectively a trust administered for the benefit of the Prince of Wales and his family. Tax is paid on that Trust income even though it has a tax exemption. The Queen also pays income tax on the income not allocated to official duties from the Duchy of Lancaster.

Prince Philip's annuity is the only Royal income that comes solely from taxpayers. The Civil List (or strictly speaking it's now the Sovereign Grant) comes from the Treasury but is linked directly to Government income from the Crown Estate.
Clearly there is difference between income paid directly through the sovereign grant, and income paid as a result of the commercial activities of the Duchy of Cornwall. But as the Duchy of Cornwall seems to have more of the characteristics of a state asset allocated for the benefit of the royals, rather than a private resource of the Windsor family, I'm with @User in thinking that the difference may not be that important in terms of the issue in question (whether Wills is supported by the state).

Where I possibly differ from Adrian is in thinking that the cost of the monarchy is probably worth it :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
The Duchy belongs to the Crown, not the state. It was formed in the 1300's, long before the democratic state existed.

Its a not insignificant contributor of taxation income paid against the Duchy's surplus, and provides hundreds of jobs and even relatively cheap rental housing.

The Duchy is indeed an archaic entity with somewhat favourable taxation status when compared to a traditional company of similar turnover, but is a NET contributor to the economy. Chuck's income from the Duchy is in not provided at the expense of the state. You and I, and the companies people work for, are not funding or subsidising it.

Its a nice piece of self-funding royalty, with a nice little kickback to state coffers, not the other way around. I've no issue with royalty that pays for itself. Fair play.

Maenchi

StoneDog
'His money comes from the Duchy of Cornwall ' which is a subject I believe the Cornish folks in Cornwall are not very happy about..
and in answer to the original question...fek all !

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I can go about my life without too much worry of people wanting to take me or my family out/ hostage or other nasties. So that is one of many things we do not have in common.

You cannot decide the situation you was born into.

Top Bottom