What do you have in common with Prince William?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We both walk upright.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Not sure if this counts, but I went to the same primary school in King's Lynn as his Mum ( I was a few years later).
One of my favourite cycle routes is through Anmer near Sandringham where he and Kate lived until very recently, so I guess Will and I both like Anmer (tenuous!).

swansonj

Guru
That doesn't force him to follow in their footsteps though. Although obviously hugely difficult, it would not be impossible for him to walk away from it.
And if he did so, the Duchy of Cornwall (or of Lancaster if that was the stage he did it) would presumably transfer to his successor, or to the government if that triggered a republic - which is why you and I among others see the Royal Duchies more as state assets used for the support of the monarchy rather than a private resource that makes the monarchy self-supporting.

I continue however to support the monarchy. I just don't think they can sensibly be viewed as self-financing.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And if he did so, the Duchy of Cornwall (or of Lancaster if that was the stage he did it) would presumably transfer to his successor, or to the government if that triggered a republic - which is why you and I among others see the Royal Duchies more as state assets used for the support of the monarchy rather than a private resource that makes the monarchy self-supporting.

I continue however to support the monarchy. I just don't think they can sensibly be viewed as self-financing.
They are self financing in the same way the Duke of Westminster is self financing.
Both derive income from inherited assets dating back hundreds of years.

swansonj

Guru
They are self financing in the same way the Duke of Westminster is self financing.
Both derive income from inherited assets dating back hundreds of years.
I am in danger of seeming like a dog with a bone so I apologise.

If the Duke of Westminster wanted to sell his entire estate, move the resulting money (after appropriate taxes) to a foreign bank, and emigrate, could he do so? I think yes (though he may have voluntarily put his money in some complicated trust arrangement that precludes this).

If Charles or William wanted to forego the crown and do likewise with the Cornwall money, could they? I suspect not.

I am not however an expert in the precise trust arrangements of either Westminster or Cornwall.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I am in danger of seeming like a dog with a bone so I apologise.

If the Duke of Westminster wanted to sell his entire estate, move the resulting money (after appropriate taxes) to a foreign bank, and emigrate, could he do so? I think yes (though he may have voluntarily put his money in some complicated trust arrangement that precludes this).

If Charles or William wanted to forego the crown and do likewise with the Cornwall money, could they? I suspect not.

I am not however an expert in the precise trust arrangements of either Westminster or Cornwall.
You’re probably correct, but that is because the government have reigned in the power of the monarchy.
Seems a bit unfair when you look at it like that.

swansonj

Guru
You’re probably correct, but that is because the government have reigned in the power of the monarchy.
Seems a bit unfair when you look at it like that.
As the thread seems to be turning into a general discussion of the monarchy (as it was always likely to), let me hasten it on its way.

What you say is exactly part of why I support the concept of the monarchy despite that putting me at odds with most of my left-leaning friends.

It seems to me the royal family now have in large measure lost any sense of power coming by heredity, and are simply a fairly ordinary family employed by the country to do a job, that job being to embody the ceremonial function of head of state somewhere miles away from any politician. I thoroughly approve of keeping as much of the trappings of power as far away as possible from the politicians who have quite enough actual power.

I also quite like the fact that our head of state, who in some way is seen as representing our character as a people, is not chosen competitively, on skill or ability, or by popularity.

MikeG

Guru
I've got a red-headed brother who has a wife who talks with a strange accent.

OK, Liverpuddlians might not consider the accent strange.........

Top Bottom