What do you intend on doing on the 4th July.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB, please could you expand on what Asda are doing differently that makes you feel safer? And how big is your Asda? My nearest one is huge and I find it hard to imagine it being safer than other chains.
Certainly. I came across this quite by chance. We usually shop at ALDI and pick up things ALDI don't offer in Tesco or Sainsbury. I went to the local Sainsbury two days running and the queues were enormous so I left. Second time I decided to go home a different way and try ASDA.

Outside the queuing is the same as everywhere. As one enters the store it's only possible to turn right following pairs of large green arrows on the floor. There is a one way only system. At each aisle one is not allowed to enter, that is go against the flow, there are two large "no entry" signs. These are similar to the road signs we are familiar with. I saw several people turn to go the wrong way, including myself, and all pulled up and changed direction when confronted with the signage. I guess it's simply a subconscious response all drivers would have?

Positioned around the store are staff who either offer to help if one is looking lost or clearly can be approached for help. This helps reduce people trying to double-back etc.

I've been in one ASDA twice and another once. Both are signposted this way and in three visits I only saw two people go against the flow - both young men in their mid 20s. One I challenged, the other was moving too fast. There was quite a lot of laughing and joking when we ground to a halt, reversed etc.

My overall feeling is ASDA have got the message across clearly and simply meaning people know what to do. Sainsbury, Tesco and Morrison's, in my experience to date, have not achieved this. Lots of signs telling us how much they care but no clear instruction.

Both are full sized stores, food, clothing, electrical, the lot.

I feel safer simply because everyone is conforming to the rules. Sadly this is missing in far too many situations.

As an aside our local ALDI has been outstanding to date.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
I'll be doing the same as today - looking out for myself. I won't be going in to any type of retail/hospitality/cinema until I find a safe one.

The businesses which are going to survive are those who do protect their customers rather than paying lip service to this.

I've just moved my supermarket shop to ASDA because they are streets ahead of Morrison's, Tesco and Sainsbury in store organisation.

Don't look after me? Don't expect my custom or money. Simple.

Went to are local Tesco in Hinckley.Well organised .One way system was being observed.At the tills two ladies was organising which check out to use.

First time I have been in a large supermarket since lockdown started.

Originally only went to pick up the click and collect.Only went in the shop to get the Solaroes Mrs P had omitted to include on the order.

alicat

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info re Asda and Aldi. I'm brassed off with no one way system at Morrisons. I've been going there because I know my way round and can get in and out quickly but I might try Asda next time I need to do a shop.

postman

Legendary Member
Going to watch Mrs P have her hair done.Mobile hairdresser is coming.For the rest of this year going to continue to keep apart from people.Same as normal really.It's not over by a long chalk i tell you doomed doomed we are.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I will be commiserating the fact that our most successful colony is really starting to screw things up. I won’t be going out to witness the carnage in this country.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why are you shopping at supermarkets in person when you all obviously have internet access?
Personally because I have no concerns about shopping, just go when they’re quiet / no queue. I’m too disorganised to shop online and have a small fridge and freezer

I won’t be going to a pub on the 4 July, but I am a hoping to have my birthday lunch with family out on the 12th

Already been in touch with hairdresser, expecting a call this week to make an appointment :okay:

PK99

Legendary Member
4th of July being a Saturday, we will be avoiding Pubs, as we always do - too damn busy!

Come Monday the 6th, we will go for a 30/40 mile ride in the Morning and stop off on the way home for a pint at The Hand in Hand on Wimbledon Common and cry into our beer about the holiday that was due to start the next day - a month in Canada travelling and seeing our two daughters in Vancouver.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll keep myself locked away for a few weeks longer until I can see how the excited guinea pigs fare.
I'm with this guy.
We're in the middle of a pandemic (not at the end, not by a long way) and many US states have been reopening for weeks already, despite them being a few weeks behind us. Their cases are spiking horrifically.

I'll watch for a bit thanks, I'm not in any hurry to go to a pub where I don't know what I'm supposed to do anyway. It'll all be clearer in a few weeks of this social experiment which has all been done to keep Tim cocking Martin happy.

MarkF

Guru
Thanks for the info re Asda and Aldi. I'm brassed off with no one way system at Morrisons. I've been going there because I know my way round and can get in and out quickly but I might try Asda next time I need to do a shop.

The opposite where I am, Asda has the one way system and Morrisons is a total free for all, all the local stores will follow them as Morrisons is now the go to (no queue) store and is as busy as normal whilst the others are very quiet.

On the 4th I have a 6am-2pm shift and am then joining 18 others in going to the pub.

Top Bottom