What do you look for in a good parking stand/rack..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xencube

Hi there,

I'm Garry an engineering design student, and as my final project I'm designing a bike parking stand/rack that caters primarily to the needs of the cyclist rather than the needs of the manufacturer as is seen in most common stands.

As part of my research I'm trying to get some 'user' input into what cyclists like/dislike in the current designs and any features they would like to see in a new design. (More support, better security, different materials, different finishes.. Pretty much anything that improve the user experience.)

By stand, I mean the type you lock your bike to when in town (Sheffield types, hoops, posts etc).

What do you look for in good parking stands? What do you dislike in the stands that are available? Do you lock with one lock or two? Is there one type you prefer, and why? Why do you avoid one type and use another etc?

If you could provide any feedback I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Garry.

monkeylc

Über Member
It'd be nice to see some sort of stand/rack that uses the shopping trolley concept.
i.e lock built-in and you deposit a pound to lock your bike.
no need to carry lock but would have to be good quality though.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I dont like the ones where i have to wheel my front wheel in..i always think it wont take much to twist the wheel if someone falls on or leans on the bike. The most important things are
1- in the right place
2- secure/cctv a plus
3-free

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It'd be nice to see some sort of stand/rack that uses the shopping trolley concept.
i.e lock built-in and you deposit a pound to lock your bike.
no need to carry lock but would have to be good quality though.
+1 Losing the lock would be worth paying for. I can't help thinking that we have places to dock bikes all over central London - Boris Bikes. It should be possible to make and coordinate something similar to lock our own bikes to.

EDIT: Oh, and it might be worthwhile reading this thread - http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/reinventing-the-bike-lock.115691/

covered sheffield stands with locks buillt in and motorbikes in a separate are so that I can actually get my bike in. Ideally 2 locks for front & rear wheel and not something that can be cut with bolt cutters. a handy security camera overlooking the scene would also be a nice touch just in case to worst did happen...as would a security guard but suspect that would be going too far.,

+1 on the shopping trolley concept (full of shopping at the cafe/restuarant), that way you could leave your accessories on the bike at the same time (and possibly shopping/panniers etc). could have to be completely encased though and with cctv in the right place. guess I should stop dreaming now.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
+1 on the shopping trolley concept (full of shopping at the cafe/restuarant), that way you could leave your accessories on the bike at the same time (and possibly shopping/panniers etc). could have to be completely encased though and with cctv in the right place. guess I should stop dreaming now.

I think they already have those at some stations. Guess you have to pay for them, though.

I think they already have those at some stations. Guess you have to pay for them, though.
would not mind paying to secure my touring bike if loaded and knew it was secure. but i live in rural cheshire now so dont' get to see what is available elsewhere. local supermarket (nothing) and branch line station with only 1 train an hour (also nothing). I understand Guildford now has good (?) facilities (shame I no longer live in the area but my local station was a minor station anyway so would not have helped me much even when I lived there)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
One where I can loop a bike lock through the front and back wheel and around the stanchion would be good.
A plasticized covering to save scratching the b*ggery out of the paintwork would be a big plus!

Kookas

Über Member
A bike rack shaped more or less like a bike would be neat, since you could lock any part of your bike to it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Broxap. I specify racks when they're needed, and I go for durability, which Broxap has in spades.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Don't like those which rely just holding a bit of the wheel - one shove and it's curtains for the wheel.
Don't like Sheffield Stands as the tubing tends to interact with the bike frame (thin metal on steel bikes) and paintwork (scratches and chips)
Would like to be able to prop bike up by leaning saddle onto (non abrasive but non slidey flat vertical surface (like a wall) but allow the bars to find their own position (ie no wall). This is the most stable way of parking a bike :thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
A sheffield stand with plasticised covering.
Adequate space around the stand and between stands.
The ability to load/unload panniers while the bike is in the stand.
Stand within sight of occupied premises, ie not tucked in somewhere a thief can work unseen.
Weather protection.

Top Bottom